Breaking lease in qld?

My brother and his family have been in their private rental property for 3.5years. They still have 7 months left on their 2 year lease. They are a 1 income family with 2 kids.

My brother was in the same job for 5 years but got told to basically take a job offer if it comes up. So he didn't wait around he found a job straight away only to find out he has to take a massive pay cut.

They now don't know how their going to afford their rent. He's going to talk to landlords but wants to basically move out before it gets to the point where he stops paying rent because he can't afford it.

So how does it work? They don't get their bond back? They have to keep paying rent until either someone else moves in or lease expires? They pay advertising costs?

They really don't want to have to break it but don't see any other way unless lanlord drops their rent by at least $150. Their that desperate I think they might be moving back in with my mum 😒

Breaking A Lease Qld

Unfortunately for them I think they'll have a hard time getting someone in for the price their paying. Their paying for a 4bd 2 bathroom house but for nearly 2 years only 1 shower has worked (there was a problem with pipes so they took the shower head out of other bathroom). They also have 2 small hot water tanks and 1 blew up so they got the plumber to run all hot water through the 1 small tank in turn running their power bill up. My brother also asked them to put a pump on the fresh water tank so there's actually some pressure but they said they couldn't afford it and then went on to tell them that him had just spent thousands on their car and jet ski

• Maxi

Yes , yes and yes