? asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 6 years ago

What do you think of this nickname for baby Estelle?

Effie instead of Essie.

I like it, there was a character in the tv show skins called Effy and her full name was Elizabeth. Effy is usually used as a nickname for Euphemia, an older fashioned name.

It's rather silly. Sure, technically a nickname can be anything, and Edie is cute, so why not call her Edie? It makes as much sense as Effy. Of you could call her Emmy, Elly, Enabling, Eggy, Ebby, Evie, Etta, etc. It gets to the point where the nickname makes no sense. You can do anything you want, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. Nicknames often have a reason. Elizabeth Florence might go by Effie. It makes sense. But in general, Effie for Estelle makes no sense. Effie sounds a lot like jefe, the Spanish word for.boss. Best wishes and God bless.

• I'm not sure how well it works for Estelle, but I do love the nickname Effie (as well as the show!). Personally I much prefer it as a nickname for Elizabeth or Elisabeth. If you use Estelle, I think Essie would be an easier nickname.

• Clem

I like it, and I really like when people are creative with nicknames. The one thing that you should remember is that there is a character in the Hunger Games series named Effie Trinket, and your daughter would be compared to her a lot.

• Helix

nick name for Estelle - Essie.

I LOVE SKINS! Effy was awesome.

• layla

I don't think it works, sorry

• Tulip

All blah