Why do poor people vote republican?

I come from a democrat leaning house and we earn well over 250K before bonuses. I live in Texas and I could tell you that most conservatives are religious, anti science lunatics who live in lower middle class households in rural areas and never went to college (or went to a christian "college." ) I also... show more I come from a democrat leaning house and we earn well over 250K before bonuses. I live in Texas and I could tell you that most conservatives are religious, anti science lunatics who live in lower middle class households in rural areas and never went to college (or went to a christian "college." )

I also major mechanical engineering and finance at a University here in Austin. The truth is that most conservative politicians don't care about the interests of poor republicans and wouldn't want to be caught dead living in such crappy homes and such crappy cars that many of you poor conservatives "own." I vote democrat in order to help people because I think of the good of society, not just the good for my family and my future myself.

Why do poor people vote republican? Thoughts?
Update: @hit girl
I live in Austin Texas and used to live in Houston. Idiot.