is this true?

I received this message on WhatsApp

"Tonight 12:30 - 3:30 be sure to turn off the phone : Singapore TV has announced the news. Please read about it and take care of yourself . Tell your dear relatives and friends : This evening from 12:30 - 3:30 am , dangerous, high radiation, cosmic rays will pass close to the Earth . So please turn off your cell phone . Do not let your cell phone be close to your body , it may cause damage . Please check the Google NASA and BBC News. Forward this message to all you care for."

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago

The claims in the message are nonsense. Depending on their type, cosmic rays come from outside our solar system or from the sun. They do not come from Mars or any other planet. And, the Earth s atmosphere largely protects us from cosmic rays. There are no reports about this supposed threat on BBC news. Nor is there any evidence that cosmic rays could somehow make cell phones dangerous. Sharing this silly nonsense will help nobody.

- HOAX-SLAYER

I don t know why people are circulating such disturbing rumors and such nonsense messages over social networks! This is definitely NOT TRUE AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

• sri5 years agoReport

Beautiful Answer

• 4 years ago

Are you worried about a message you received asking you to turn off your cellphones because of cosmic rays entering the Earth from Mars?

Then worry no more because that s nothing but a hoax.

As the website Hoax-Slayer.com notes: "Depending on their type, cosmic rays come from outside our solar system or from the sun. They do not come from Mars or any other planet. And, the Earth s atmosphere largely protects us from cosmic rays.

The site also notes that there are no news organizations reporting about the event. "There are no reports about this supposed threat on BBC news. Nor is there any evidence that cosmic rays could somehow make cell phones dangerous. Sharing this silly nonsense will help nobody," said the site.

The hoax has been going on for years, with a 2010 report by the BBC on how people in Ghana fell for it.

"The rumour began on Sunday night with a text message quoting US space agency Nasa and the BBC as saying that cosmic rays were to hit the Earth," the 2010 BBC report read, before detailing how it caused mass panic in Ghana.

The hoax seems to have been going around in the Philippines since 2012. That year, a Filipino science blogger wrote about receiving a message, ending his post with a plea: "So, to anyone who will receive this kind of message, please think it over and help educate others. :) Spreading dubious and unsubstantiated warnings such as this is counterproductive and is unlikely to help anyone." — JST, GMA News

- See more at: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/380016/scitec...

• 5 years ago

There have been rumors circulating that cosmic rays from Mars are entering Earth tonight so we need to switch off our phones, or put them away from us.

Tonight 12:30 am to 3:30 am cosmo rays entering earth from mars. So switch off your mobile at night. Don’t keep your cell with you & put it away while you are sleeping because they are too much dangerous rays: NASA informs BBC NEWS. Pls spread this news.

The message above is clearly nothing more than just another HOAX. I don’t know why people are circulating panic messages such as this to disturb the lives of other people. From what I have noticed, this message has been circulating since 2008 and it suddenly reappeared today, 6 April 2012. I also received text messages containing this false information and saw similar Facebook posts.

• 3 years ago

Nasa Bbc News Today

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • wurz
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Cosmic Rays Today

• 5 years ago

I got the same message through whatsapp just before 5 minute. saying that "Tonight 12:30 - 3:30 be sure to turn off the phone : Singapore TV has announced the news. Please read about it and take care of yourself . Tell your dear relatives and friends : This evening from 12:30 - 3:30 am , dangerous, high radiation, cosmic rays will pass close to the Earth . So please turn off your cell phone . Do not let your cell phone be close to your body , it may cause damage . Please check the Google NASA and BBC News. Forward this message to all you care for."

What does this actually meant????

• 5 years ago

The claims in the message are nonsense. Depending on their type, cosmic rays come from outside our solar system or from the sun. They do not come from Mars or any other planet. And, the Earth s atmosphere largely protects us from cosmic rays. There are no reports about this supposed threat on BBC news. Nor is there any evidence that cosmic rays could somehow make cell phones dangerous. Sharing this silly nonsense will help nobody.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/cosmic-rays-entering-ea...

• Jeanne
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

True that. Not just love stories. It's foolishness to compare any part of life with movies.

• 5 years ago

It's just a hoax buddy, i've received many messages which are similar to that. if that's true, well, the social media should panic at this point, but, since there's none, well, it's just a hoax.

• 5 years ago

"If the news sounds big but the news media isn't reporting it, chances are, it is another of those hoaxes circulating."

A good advice, I found at this link:

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/no-mars-isnt-emitting-t...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.