Why do theists hate Neal Degrasse Tyson and his television show Cosmos?

With the exception of a certain kook who shall remain nameless, Id like to say thanks for all the well thought out replies from both sides.

If you are a theist and If you don't hate science and you believe in a god/s, please make a post that says you believe in the big bang theory, that evolutionary processes DO occur and that genesis got it wrong. Wont do it will you? If not, then please stop saying thesists don't hate the show. He even addressed it on the show once. Please stop being disingenuous.

"There is something feeble and a little contemptible about a man who cannot face the perils of life without the help of comfortable myths. Almost inevitably some part of him is aware that they are myths and that he believes them only because they are comforting. But he dare not face this thought! Moreover, since he is aware, however dimly, that his opinions are not rational, he becomes furious when they are disputed."~ Bertrand Russell "Human Society in Ethics and Politics"

"Does it mean, if you don’t understand something, and the community of physicists don’t understand it, that means God did it? Is that how you want to play this game? Because if it is, here’s a list of things in the past that the physicists at the time didn't understand [and now we do understand.] If that’s how you want to invoke your evidence for God, then God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance that’s getting smaller and smaller and smaller as time moves on - so just be ready for that to happen, if that’s how you want to come at the problem." Neil deGrasse Tyson

“How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, “This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant?” Instead they say, “No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.” A religion, old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the Universe as revealed by modern science might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths.” -- Carl Sagan

I very much like Neil deGrasse Tyson (which I can even spell and capitalize correctly!) and the "Cosmos" series.

Okay, you want my position clear:

I am a theist--a Protestant Christian, raised in a missionary family.

Both the Big Bang and the evolution of known life forms are proven theory. They both happened. We've had solid proof of the Big Bang since 1965, and solid proof of evolution since Darwin's books in the 19th century. (I have read, and recommend, the 1872 edition--his last and therefore most up to date on the evidence.)

Genesis "got it wrong" only if you think Genesis is a science text. If you do, then YOU got it wrong. You might as well try to confront Dr. Seuss about "errors" in natural history in his works.

The authors of Genesis (and storytellers and editors, because the material clearly was transmitted orally before Hebrew was written, and equally clearly existed in an earlier written form before the one we have) would all be astonished and appalled at the notion that anyone would treat their work as literally intended.

I can like and admire Neil deGrasse Tyson, Dr. Seuss, and the authors of Genesis, among others. And if you're looking to pick one and prove the rest incorrect, you're exhibiting a form of functional illiteracy.

• ?

I don't believe all theists do. Some fundamentalists may feel jarred by the notion that the dynamics of the Universe goes against their religious beliefs, but I do not think that the vast majority of theists have any problems with this.

• nobudE

He says evolution like 50 times.

Everything known about the Universe, from galactic distances to the arrangement of monomers in proteins and nucleic acids contradicts most religion, especially including young Earth creationism

• Zombie

Theists in a general sense don't seem to hate Cosmos or even science in general. It's fundies that are the loudest, unfortunately, and they create that perception.

I don't hate him, his presentations and conclusions are just funny sometimes. In all due respect, doesn't the science world have a better man? I mean, I thought Brian Cox was very good. And that Japanese fellow I saw around the news media once in a while seems extremely intelligent. I doubt they would make the same mistakes Tyson makes.

• gillie

Because he teaches science rather than creationism.

He is a meticulously honest and accurate man. He is attempting to educate.

The religious always rail against such honesty and accuracy.

It goes against the superstitious teachings or their controllers.

Most theists I know Love the show, what theists do YOU hang out with?