I found this weird white stuff growing on a shirt I haven't worn in about two years. What is it?

I have this polyester/cotton shirt I haven't worn in a couple of years, and there is something growing on it. It looks like cotton fibers stuck to it. It doesn't look like a spider web (unless it's a different type?) There aren't any holes in it...But it definitely wasn't there before. What is growing on my shirt? It's definitely not lint or anything.

There is a type of spider called the Sac Spider which is really common inside houses. Each day it builds a little sac made out of webbing that is sort of, um, thick, or solid. Opaque. It is almost papery. It uses this as a little safe place to sleep, or sometimes to molt.

So if the stuff is white and kind of papery, and you can peel it off, then you might have the leftover sleeping bag from a Sac Spider.

Other possibilities: there are some types of fungus that could grow in a moist environment, but that seems less likely.

Kind of impossible without a picture. But I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you can get it off.

Source(s): Spider Ecologist

Not sure what it is with out seeing a picture. Wash the shirt by the instructions on the tag before you wear it

Sounds like some sort of spider web to me.