Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Is there any tangible, verifiable evidence to suggest that 'jesus' is anything other?

Than exactly who He said He was?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favourite answer

First, we need to know who Jesus said he was. Jesus said he was the Son of God and the Son of Man.

During His trial before the Jewish leaders, the High Priest demanded of Jesus, “I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God” (Matthew 26:63). “’Yes, it is as you say,’ Jesus replied. ‘But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven’” (Matthew 26:64). The Jewish leaders responded by accusing Jesus of blasphemy (Matthew 26:65-66). Later, before Pontius Pilate, “The Jews insisted, ‘We have a law, and according to that law He must die, because He claimed to be the Son of God’” (John 19:7). Why would His claiming to be the Son of God be considered blasphemy and be worthy of a death sentence? The Jewish leaders understood exactly what Jesus meant by the phrase “Son of God.” To be the Son of God is to be of the same nature as God. The Son of God is “of God.” The claim to be of the same nature as God—to in fact be God—was blasphemy to the Jewish leaders; therefore, they demanded Jesus’ death, in keeping with Leviticus 24:15. Hebrews 1:3 expresses this very clearly, “The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of His being.”

Jesus is referred to as the “Son of Man” 88 times in the New Testament. A first meaning of the phrase “Son of Man” is as a reference to the prophecy of Daniel 7:13-14, “In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.” The description “Son of Man” was a Messianic title. Jesus is the One who was given dominion and glory and a kingdom. When Jesus used this phrase, He was assigning the Son of Man prophecy to Himself. The Jews of that era would have been intimately familiar with the phrase and to whom it referred. Jesus was proclaiming Himself as the Messiah.

A second meaning of the phrase “Son of Man” is that Jesus was truly a human being. God called the prophet Ezekiel “son of man” 93 times. God was simply calling Ezekiel a human being. A son of a man is a man. Jesus was fully God (John 1:1), but He was also a human being (John 1:14). First John 4:2 tells us, “This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God.” Yes, Jesus was the Son of God—He was in His essence God. Yes, Jesus was also the Son of Man—He was in His essence a human being. In summary, the phrase “Son of Man” indicates that Jesus is the Messiah and that He is truly a human being.

All the evidence verifies that this Jesus was no mere mortal. Yes, he was fully human (the Son of Man through his lineage back to Adam) but he was also fully divine. He was the Word of God, who came to earth and took on human form. He died, was resurrected and returned to heaven - and in front of witnesses.

Jesus, the Christ, the Messiah, the Son of God and the Son of Man is absolutely who he said he was!

LM

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

LOL. Clever question. And the answer is no.

In Mere Christianity, C. S. Lewis wrote, "I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronising nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to. ... Now it seems to me obvious that He was neither a lunatic nor a fiend: and consequently, however strange or terrifying or unlikely it may seem, I have to accept the view that He was and is God."

Cheers,

Bruce

• 7 years ago

What you understand like moving mountain with faith.? It is not literally removing a mountain. "Can you move that mountain",the Emir asked. "I want to have Golf course, there". This might have been the question asked to that foreign Engineer in Dubai. I saw the photo of Dubai 20 years ago. Now we see a lush green grass golf course in the rocky desert and the world's tallest building.

So the faith on the Engineer (substitute God), moved mountain. Because you understand there are machinery the foreigners( say Angels / Aliens) have can do that.

God science more Alien than Engineering science. Have you seen miracle done by ordinary man in the name of Jesus?! Jesus did not claim but God provided (Jesus) him to solve the problem of something(Sin) which made you do what you did not want do. It is like a father stands between the son and the irritated people who wanted to beat the naughty boy who broke the Crystal. Father sends his first son(not as spirit but as human recorded in the history) to pay for the little son (man kind)

• 7 years ago

More importantly there is no tangible, verifiable evidence to suggest he was anything like he is claimed to be – or in fact anything other than a myth.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 years ago

You mean anything other than what a 2000 year old book of fairytales "claims" he said about himself? Yes. The fact that he is a fictional character from an ancient book of desert stories.

• banana
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Not at all.He's the Son of the Most High God - Jehovah.

• 7 years ago

There isn't even any evidence to prove that.

• 7 years ago

Jesus did not say he was... whatever you mean. Christian preconceived notions have decided that he was what he could not be as a Jew that he was.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Yes.

there is NO evidence to indicate he was anything at all, never mind what YOU claim he was.

I don't think "he" claimed anything.

Everyone else makes those claims.

• 7 years ago

nope...but who cares what he supposedly said? Do you believe everything everybody tells you? Or everything you read? Really?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.