Why do people say size doesnt matter in a fight?

There is a reason UFC has weight classes. The bigger person whether fat or muscular usually wins in a street fight also.

Like another person said size matters a-lot in a sport setting in which there is a strict rule set. Fighter are restricted on the amount of technique they can use.

In a real fight/self defense situation size matters not. The better fighter will always win. I have seen young girls in our gym weighing 125 lbs not only beat, but outclass professional fighters weighing 185 lbs. Why? Bc they are the better fighter. We have one girl whose art is ingrained into her head.

There are thousands of technique to take down bigger opponents and most have to do with center of gravity, leverage, and balance. Also I don't care how big someone is, if a trained fighter smashed several elbows into the throat the guy is dead or seriously injured. There are several places on the human body in where one strike can cause tremendous amounts of pain.

Best example, like Shades said, is Bruce Lee. He was a pretty small guy. With a shirt on, which hid is ripped figure, he honestly did not look like much. And yet though he was small he had experience, training, and technique. He was packing exceptional power for his size. His stepping lead side kick was supposedly like getting hit by a car. And he is considered to be one of the best martial artists ever.

It's true that taking down a bigger opponent is harder, but with proper training it can be very easy to do.

Source(s): Martial Artist 13 yrs and counting.

Ask this in the martial arts section where you will get intelligent answers from people with experience.

From my understanding it's a mix. Size matters and doesn't matter. As people say the better fighter will win. Bruce lee was a small guy. Size definitely matters in a sport setting where there is a rule set.

Most of the time in an MMA fight size does matter. I do believe good technique can overcome pure size and strength but the great big man will usually always beat the great small man. Look at BJ Penn and GSP. They are both great fighters and champions but GSP was able to defeat him with superior size and strength.

I'm pretty sure I can take an obese 300 pound man in a fight. Being fat doesn't make you a good fighter...it just makes you fat.

I think they do it make a fairer fight. The weight class acts as a standard.

• Because bigger ppl aren't as quick and stealthy as smaller ppl so small ppl can make quick maneauvers while bigger ppl r stronger so it kinda balances out

I took on a girl 60 pounds heavier than me and she was on her *** in seconds. Now, if that weight was MUSCLE, I would've been scared

sometimes it's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.

Source(s): Just what I've heard

Because it's all about where you aim. Not how big you are. I'm not very big. But I know where the pressure points are.