DISCUSSION: If Nottingham Forest was bought by a billionaire tomorrow...?

Would you class them as 'buying success'? After all, they DO have 2 European Cups. Is that enough history for them to avoid the label? Essay coming up. Look away if you don't have the attention span. In the past 15 years of football, we've seen the high profile financial takeovers of clubs... show more Would you class them as 'buying success'?

After all, they DO have 2 European Cups. Is that enough history for them to avoid the label?

Essay coming up. Look away if you don't have the attention span.

In the past 15 years of football, we've seen the high profile financial takeovers of clubs such as Chelsea, Manchester City, Malaga, PSG, and Monaco. These clubs have been derided by fans of the old football cartel clubs as 'oil money' and 'buying success'. I feel like this shaming shows fan ignorance of most of the cartel club's roots.

Why is it that we only deride the clubs who were taken over that we remember?

How come nobody ever brings up Santiago Bernabeu bankrolling RM's success by building Real Madrid the biggest stadium in Europe, then stating himself that it was 'too much of a stadium for so little a club"? Next breaking transfer records with Alfredo Di Stefano, Fransec Puskas, Rial, etc to win 5 European Cups (Bernbeu also organized the tournament). I'd like to emphasize that this was all bankrolled by Bernabeu, the socio system had not yet become large enough to support this type of venture. So even though the socios now support Real Madrid, they needed that initial financial venture from Bernabeu to make Real Madrid successful enough for people to want to become a fan. Anyhow, it's obvious why nobody ever brings this up. It's because nobody knows about it. It happened 60 years ago. It's forgotten from recent memory. And saying this isn't to insult Real Madrid or suggest that their success is fraudulent, it's to show that every great and prestigious club has it's roots where a financier pushed them to the next level.

I'll even pick on my own club. Inter, bought by Angelo Moratti (OIL TYCOON) in 1955, wins 2 European Cups, he dies in 1968. Inter doesn't win another European Cup until his son, Massimo Moratti (OIL TYCOON) buys the club in 1995 and spends 1.5 Billion euro over an 18 year span of ownership. Nearly all of Inter's success came under the reign of these oil tycoons. Does that make Inter an oil money club and guilty of buying success?

How about Milan? Everybody looks at Milan as the pinnacle Champions League club of the modern era, but did you know that Milan was relegated into Serie B twice in the early 80s? On the verge of bankruptcy, Silvio Berlusconi (MEDIA MOGUL BILLIONAIRE) bought the club, brought Arrigo Sacchi from Parma, then purchased Van Basten, Ruud Gullit, Frank Rijkaard, Carlo Ancelotti, and Roberto Donadoni. You might recognize these names. They were starters on the great Milan team that was regarded as the club best team in history. I don't hear anybody saying Milan bought their success. People might point to homegrown players such as Maldini, Costacurta, Baresi as evidence that Milan didn't buy their success, but they would be wrong as all 3 of those players were in Milan when they were relegated.

Juventus too. Juventus was bought in 1923 by the Agnelli family - the richest family in Italy and the holders of the FIAT fortune. Like the other clubs I mentioned, Agnelli used his money to buy the best players in the world and poach the best Italian talent from other clubs, actions which established Juventus as 'Italy's club' before anybody else had a big investor. Nobody says Juventus bought their success.

I'm not that familiar with English clubs but I'm sure Garrincha knows them well and could tell us.

Also consider this younger generation of kids that are becoming football fans like us. They've got no idea what 'oil money' and 'investors' are. They'll grow up into a world where clubs like Chelsea, City, PSG, etc are in the Champions League and on television constantly. A few will take the elitist standpoint they've heard from older football fans about those clubs, but the vast majority will view them as an equal competitor to the likes Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, etc.

A decade or two from now hardly anybody will remember how those clubs became relevant, and all these elitists will be grown men complaining about a financial takeover that happened 20+ years ago. Now that I think about it, maybe those kids will be complaining about the recent Google takeover of Leeds United, then give us a weird look when we say Chelsea was nothing before Abramovich (who is dead by this point).

My message: The oil money clubs of today are the big clubs of tomorrow. Enjoy.
Update: Chelsea, City, PSG are building a history for themselves now. Juve didn't have much history before Agnelli either.

And if you can call Monaco a great club with 7 league titles, you can call Genoa or Pro Vercelli great clubs too.
Update 2: Joe - This essay was a response to users on this website complaining about 'new money clubs' buying all the best players while the traditional clubs are taking a back seat. The point of this essay was to show many of these younger fans that the traditional clubs also had periods where they similarly bought... show more Joe - This essay was a response to users on this website complaining about 'new money clubs' buying all the best players while the traditional clubs are taking a back seat. The point of this essay was to show many of these younger fans that the traditional clubs also had periods where they similarly bought the best players in the world before they became traditional.
8 answers 8