Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsHome Theater · 7 years ago

Pyle p2001AT "pre-amp" Speaker Wattage?

I have recently bought the pyler p2001AT "pre-amp" along with 8 dual illuminite 3-way speakers which are rated at 50 RMS at 4 Ohms. The pyle pre-amp says its rated at 600W at 2Ohms, 450W at 4 Ohms, and 300 W at 8 Ohms. I do not know if these ratings for the pyle are for the pre-amp or the four speaker output that are on the back of it also.

The speaker output do say that the impedance rating must be from 4-16 Ohms for each port. I guess my question is, will this "pre-amp" have enough wattage to power my two dual speakers in each port hooked up in series? I bought the speakers assuming that the pyle ratings were for the four speaker prots in the back but I guess I was wrong...

I know pyle and dual are not the best products but i wanted something not too expensive for my dorm.

• Ken C

OK, let's sort this out. You're going to figure out by the end of this that I hate Pyle...not because of how crappy the product is, but because of the way that they mislead customers into thinking they're getting a whole lot more than they really are.

A wattage spec by itself without a distortion figure is useless. They can drive the amp to levels of distortion that make it unlistenable, and then record that wattage. And that's exactly what Pyle does. They claim the amp can hit a peak of 2000 watts. I might, and I mean might can do 200 watts on a good day with a cool breeze blowing over it.

Don't try to run this amp at 2 ohms...I've never seen one survive it. Your best bet is to put the speakers in series and hook them up.

And notice Pyle calls out the wattage in "peak power". By industry definition, peak is what the amp can do for a very brief period of time...like maybe 1/100th of a second. RMS wattage is a whole lot more meaningful. So, to convert from peak (and actually, they're quoting peak to peak), to RMS lets do the 8 ohm number. Take their 300 watts, divide it by 2, and multiply by .71. You wind up with about 100 watts. That's a long way from 2000 watts, and that's why I think these guys are scum.

The specs on their website are even more incomplete...which means they're hiding a lot.

And to clarify, preamps don't have wattage ratings. Why? Because they can't power speakers...that's what a power amp is for.

I write a weekly blog for live music production, and I just covered how companies come up with these BS specs.

http://itsjustlogistics.blogspot.com/2013/08/watts...

This has been one of my most-read articles.

Good luck.

Greetings from Austin, TX

Ken

Source(s): 35+ years audio and broadcast engineering