Thomas
Thomas asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 7 years ago

"The Eternal Life " conclusion, "Who I Am" will you read and c.c?

This poem is long; for that, I am sorry. I did not want to have another segment. I hope it keeps your interest to read the whole thing. I wrote about a third of this in verse in honor of my loyal friend on YAP, Jupiter Joanne, who expressed she hoped I would write the conclusion in rhyme/verse. The remainder, starting where is says 32 A.D. is free verse. During this part there are three individuals who have spoken. Two of them are distinct and in quotes. The third is the man who has The Eternal Life. C.C. and comments are welcome. I respect all of them, and try to employ any changes I feel in my heart will make me a better poet and writer. Oh, the versed part I wrote in 10 syllables and did my best to have a decent beat. Thanks, Thomas

Note: There is spiritualism and my faith intertwined in this piece, especially this last segment. This is no offense to other faiths or non-believers. I hope we all can look at this as a poem/story. :)

_______________________________________________________________________________

The Eternal Life

Series Conclusion

Part 4 of 4 plus

a Summary account

Who I Am

Commissioned by brevet in custody

By the East German soldier in my charge

I was immersed in abject gluttony

Though knew very soon I would be at large

First needed to regain my inner strength

Let them confirm Colonel Nathan Connor

Cannot see them keeping me at times length

News-wired story the world would honor

Hospitalized and out one month later

Released to American Embassy

Then I returned to the United States

No fanfare to special forces you'll see

Debriefing several weeks to unfold

Time for a whole other life to begin

Then I lamented of Him I am sold

Abscond new name, same original sin

This account changed my long life forever

My plaint clear now as my first endeavor:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A.D. 32

In Bethany, with my sisters Mary and Martha,

and their good friend, then mine, visited us.

I came to believe in this man as Lord and Savior.

He was to leave, but stayed on when I was ill

He said to us:

“This sickness will not end in death,

No, it is for God's glory, so that God's

Son may be glorified though it”

He then left us

I did not know exactly what he meant

Trusted him no less until I passed away

My body was entombed, but soul left me

The next happening - not under my authority

While away, Jesus told his disciples:

“Our friend has fallen asleep, but I am

going to his tomb and wake him up”

He then told the gathering that followed

Him to the tomb:

“Our friend is dead, and for your sake I

am glad I was not there, so that you may

believe in me. Now, let's go to him”

When Jesus got to the tomb, the dead man

had already been buried for four days. Upon

hearing of his arrival, Martha came to the tomb

and told Jesus “If you had been here, my

brother would have lived." Jesus said to Martha,

“Your brother will rise again”

Then The Messiah told the gathering:

“I am the resurrection and the life. He who

believes in me will live, even though he dies,

and whoever lives and believes in me will never

die. Do you believe this?”

Many came to believe in Jesus that day

With this, Jesus told some men to remove the

stone that covered the tomb. Once open, he

shouted for the dear man inside the tomb to

“Come out and live”

My spirit now enveloping my heart, I

walked out of the tomb, was torn of

my wrappings and given cloth to cover

my body. I then hugged my sisters,

approached Jesus, embraced and

kissed him.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

His present day

My name is Lazarus

Little more was said in Scripture about

who I was or what I did, or if I died. I

died once, but was resurrected by

Jesus, and have lived ever since.

This is not in the Holy Bible, but after

he raised me from the dead, Jesus told

me “Lazarus, besides me, who will soon

die, rise and then be with my Father, you

will forever be my one example of the

resurrection and the life. You will never

die, but take heed, for I will be with you

until that day when I return at the end of

days. There will be a day I will lift up the

living and the dead. You will continue on

and preach the good news though some

very hard times, but I will be with you.

Shortly after this time, I shall return for

you and those who believe in me. Stay

faithful, and for the Fathers sake, try not

to be caught, for you will experience much

pain. Again my friend, I am with you.”

My life now goes on. Nathan Connor no more,

on February 7, 1956, I am now a new man, but

since I came to believe, was always a

'new creation' in Him.

Jesus Is Lord

Lazarus

____________________________________________________________

Most scriptural quotes were taken from the Holy Bible NIV translation; the gospel of John, Chapter 11:1-43, though the whole account of Lazarus extends as far as Chapter 12:11. There were a couple spots I modified or added a word or two in a verse. The very last quote from Jesus in the last paragraph, where Lazarus says there is no account in the Bible, was totally invented on my part. Thanks

______________________________________________________________________________

Correction: not that noticeable, but in the last 'long' paragraph, on line 11, which reads as follows: "and preach the good news though some"

should be: "and preach the good news through some" ---- man, I do that all the time with that word. lol. Thomas

__________________________________________________________________

YAP poets and friends, thank you for your patience. This is a four part poem, so I do not blame any confusion if one has not read all four parts. Then again, I don't blame or expect anyone to read every part either unless compelled to do so or they really love the story. However, see link below - I did provide a "Summary Account" before the Conclusion which might help.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AnvSj...

In the future am going to try to cut back on the several part epics and stick to one page poems, maybe two, but release them both at same time. Blessings, Thomas

Thanks so much for answers so far. Grateful and helpful. TBC

Blue Bell: Thanks for your answer, and no worries---you answer is stout, and spot on. This is a fictional poem that intrigued me, and it has accomplished the task I sought with it. Yes, there are more accounts of Jesus bringing others to life, and accounts in the Old Testament as well. I do appreciate your answer very much. Thomas Bri

What's It 2U: Thanks as always for your answer, honesty and support. You are right, and because of that, this is my last long epic, with the exception of the Sir Thomas/Time Machine, only because those stand more on their own even with one segment. Had things been different I would try a novel, but right now there is this certain 17 year old who needs me, and I am a Daddy first. Perhaps later. Thomas

________________________________________________________________________________

I just read this again - I admit it is long, but this story has me captivated. There is the possibility Lazarus will come back in subsequent poems as part of The Eternal Life series. I said no more, and meant it, no more 4-5 part poems. However, current series and to bring back a one page continuation of the story---perhaps if the folks are the slightest interested. Thomas

Time to close this. Out of all the poems I have written, am talking about these multi-part ones, this is the most intriguing one. I really enjoyed writing it. Thank you all for the answers and those who gave poem a star- you are special to me. Thomas

Favorite Answer

An interesting story in poetic format. All fiction is based either on a grain of truth or on a belief that it is based on truth. It has been said that all fiction is biographical in some way. In any case, you write well with few errors.

Interesting how you ended it. I like the scriptures and the idea conveyed (or should I say my way of seeing it according), the miracle performed by Jesus, of raising Lazarus from the dead is a wonderful foregleem of events to come. There will be a resurrection and we will have a thousand years to become perfect. Surprisingly, not everyone will want it. Many will reject it, but there again, many will accept it as well.

Personally, I am looking forward to a time when there will be no more war, crying or death. When you think about a man named Hitler you can understand evil and how it can come from the devil and demons.

“I have hope toward God . . . that there is going to be a resurrection.”—ACTS 24:15.

Keep writing Thomas Bri and keep searching out the scriptures along with your very good expressions.

~Zebra~

This is a great story and presenting it in parts is fine for YAPS but I would put it all together and post it at Wattpad or some similar site. I am glad you as a dad have your priorities straight, if I would have had that I would be a lot better off today.

Your pieces are developing into something bigger than one can understand from piece to piece, its hard unless you read all of them to understand what is going on. There is a ton of historic detail in everything you write which makes it rich and shows your style and discipline in trying to keep with the language and bring it to us now. I think I enjoy The story seller but admire that you try to make it flow and rhyme I often wonder what would be the story with out the poems structured form.

oh Lazarus had something to do with Jesus - never heard the story before.

I thought he was one of the Hebrew Scriptures dudes that lived a long time.

I am totally confused as it seems that the person in the tomb

was not the crucified Saviour...AND it still makes sense beyond the senses I think.

I wonder if it is sheer coincidence that, as my eyesight has borne a heavy blpw recently

I read the summarising line of your first missive here as,

`my planet clearing now as my first endeavour`. (I truly did that!).

I know so little of The Holy Bible but for The Ten Commandments

which are writ large for me, that I am not at all qualified to comment

on religious merit or otherwise Thomas.

But you appear to have hit a fruitful seam in he spiritual mountain-range.

*Have you read `Rilke`s `The Raising of Lazarus`.?....highly recommend to you

if you have not...amazing perception there also.*

It reminds me of a sci-fi Tv show episode in which Lazarus was still alive, swapping identities regularly with similar-looking men when they pass away.

It does sound like you went through all that, that you write of. THAT makes it very clear that it is one of a kind memories on paper/screen.

Your imagination is impeccable, at the very least.

Wow Bri...you took my breath away! looking forward to reading it again and again on my way home!

I need some time with this one without distractions/. I will be back.