Wedisinghe asked in HealthMen's Health · 7 years ago

What does fatty liver mean?

I'm 36 years old.i have high blood pressure. (175/125). Doctor ordered me to do a few tests & after scanning he said i have fat in my liver. The SGOT,SGPT values were about 140.he gave me some pills to take daily. My question :-what does fatty liver, SGOT,SGPT mean & how does it affect me?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Fatty liver disease has different causes. Some of them are:

weight gain (obesity), fast weight loss, diabetes, insulin

resistance, metabolic disorders, high cholesterol/triglyceride

levels, certain kinds of medications (like steriods), certain

chemicals, alcohol consumption and others.

There is about 5% fat inside a healthy liver. As the fat builds

up in the liver it can damage the liver cells. When the liver

cells become damaged, the immune system of the

patients body will respond to this

and cause inflammation to develop inside the liver leading

to the liver enlarging in size and taking on a spongy

Texture. This is then no longer simple

fatty liver disease...it is Steatohepatitiis.

If the cause can be found and by following the

doctors instructions, can be stopped...then the

liver cells may heal and the problem could be reversed..

if not, it can lead to Cirrhosis of the liver.

The SGOT and SGPT are also known as the

AST and ALT enzymes. The liver cells make these

enzymes and when they become damaged, these

enzymes leak out and go higher on the blood testing

results...signifying possible liver disease to the doctor.

However, there are other tests to confirm this like

the liver function tests known as the Bilirubin, INR,

Albumin, PT, PTT which would give the doctor an

idea of how well the liver cells are able to perform

some of the 500 functions they do to keep the body well.

If the cause is not stopped, it can lead pass just the

liver cells becoming damaged to death of the liver

cells and scar tissue formation inside the liver...

known as Cirrhosis of the liver. That is when it will

become a progressive disease that only a liver

transplant could cure.

Some terms that you may need to become familiar with:

1)Hepatitis is inflammation of the liver.

2)Hepatitis A,B,C,etc is a virus that enters the body and uses

the liver cells to replicate itself...

3)Steatohepatitis is inflammation of the liver caused by damage

to the liver cells because of the build up of fat inside the liver.

4)NASH is Non alcoholic causes of steatohepatitis

5)NAFLD is Non alcoholic causes of fatty liver disease

6)Cirrhosis is death of the liver cells and scar tissue formation

which lead to blood being unable to flow through the liver and

into the liver.

Here are some links that may explain this all more:

Medicine Net: http://www.medicinenet.com/fatty_liver/article.htm

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatty_liver

Best wishes

Source(s): caregiver to a liver transplant patient
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): #1 Pill To Lose Fat : http://PureGarciniaGet.com/?twkk
  • Lynn
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Fatty liver disease affects a whopping 30% of the population. That's 30 out of every 100 people! And some estimates have it at 33%.

And if you're overweight, it's even worse overweight people are extremely more likely than healthy weight individuals to develop this condition.

In other words, you're not alone. Not by a long shot.

Other fatty liver sufferers have reversed their condition, lost weight, and rediscovered their energy, using completely natural remedies. And that means you can, too!

Keep reading to discover more...

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Fatty liver has large amounts of fats (triglycerides) accumulating within the liver cells. Excess aggregation of fats within the small hepatocytes swells them up and occasionally the whole liver is enlarged enough for feeling it. and Alcohol and obesity are two leading causes of fatty liver worldwide.

My friend used to get fatty liver when 32 year olds, she doesn't what is the main causes leading to her disease so she found a book and admit it, the book is not only provide causes but also the way how to treat ?so on . you can find it at: http://adola.net/go/fattyliver-bible/

This is useful for you!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 years ago

if fat makes up more than 5%-10% of the weight of your liver, you may have alcoholic or nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. In some cases, it can lead to serious complications.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What does fatty liver mean?

I'm 36 years old.i have high blood pressure. (175/125). Doctor ordered me to do a few tests & after scanning he said i have fat in my liver. The SGOT,SGPT values were about 140.he gave me some pills to take daily. My question :-what does fatty liver, SGOT,SGPT mean & how does it affect me?

Source(s): fatty liver mean: https://tr.im/yRMXe
  • ?
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease describes a range of conditions caused by a build-up of fat within liver cells. It is very common and in many cases is linked to being obese or overweight. Most people with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease do not develop serious liver problems. In some people the build-up of fat in the liver can lead to serious liver problems. However, all people with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease have an increased risk of developing cardiovascular problems such as heart attack and stroke. If you are obese or overweight, a main treatment advised for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is usually gradual weight loss and regular exercise.

What is the treatment for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease?

Treatment of obesity and overweight

Most cases of NAFLD are linked to being obese or overweight. There is good evidence that a programme of gradual weight loss and regular exercise can reduce the amount of fat in your liver. So, if you have simple fatty liver or mild NASH, this may prevent or delay the progression of NAFLD. It may reduce your chance of developing cirrhosis. In some people who are very obese, obesity surgery may be considered as studies have shown that this may help to improve NASH.

Treatment of linked conditions and risk factors

As mentioned, having NAFLD increases your risk of developing cardiovascular disease. In fact, people with NAFLD are actually more likely to become ill and die from cardiovascular diseases such as heart attack than from a liver problem. Therefore, your doctor is likely to stress the importance of reducing any 'lifestyle' risk factors that increase the risk of developing cardiovascular disease. For example, not smoking, keeping your weight in check, taking regular exercise, and eating a healthy balanced diet. See separate leaflet called 'Preventing Cardiovascular Diseases' for more details. Also, to treat high blood pressure and a high cholesterol level, if appropriate.

If you have diabetes, then good control of your blood glucose level is thought to help reduce the risk of NAFLD getting worse.

It is also advised that you do not drink any alcohol. NAFLD (by definition) is not caused by alcohol. However, even modest amounts of alcohol may make NAFLD worse.

Medication that affects the liver itself

Various drugs have been suggested as possible treatments for NAFLD. However, there is little research evidence to say that any drug works very well. For example, for NASH, no treatment has been proved to stop or reverse the inflammation. Various drugs are currently being trialled in different studies. One or more drugs may emerge as treatments in the future.

Source(s): Patient.co.uk
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.