Why do people in R&S say, "10 points for best answer," when asking their question?

I confess I'm perplexed by this. I mean, the allure of the 10 points isn't why I answer questions, but people actually incorporate the promise of those points in their question. Picture the scenario: I'm flicking through the R&S forum and suddenly alight on the question, "What's the... show more I confess I'm perplexed by this. I mean, the allure of the 10 points isn't why I answer questions, but people actually incorporate the promise of those points in their question.

Picture the scenario:

I'm flicking through the R&S forum and suddenly alight on the question, "What's the meaning of life? 10 points for best answer."

"Ooh," says I. "I could get 10 points for answering this. I'd better think of something to say."

No. That's just dumb. Especially as my answer might not be considered "best" by any criterion used.

And in any case, Yahoo! awards the points to the best answer as chosen by the asker or, in the case of it going to vote, the answer with most votes.

So it's not like answering a question that specifies a 10 point award in the title is any greater incentive to contribute an answer.

So can anyone explain why these people feel the need to include the reminder of the 10-point reward in their question?

Oh, and there's 10 points for the best answer...
Update: I will be picking the best answer myself, not leaving it to vote. You get extra points for picking a best answer, you see...