How are you testing your martial arts skills?

There seems to be a lot of TMA people bashing MMA lately. What I'd really like to know is how are you testing whether or not your martial art is effective? Are you really practicing eye-gouging, biting, nut-kicks in LIVE sparring against a resisting opponent and doing this full contact? Or are you relying on... show more There seems to be a lot of TMA people bashing MMA lately. What I'd really like to know is how are you testing whether or not your martial art is effective? Are you really practicing eye-gouging, biting, nut-kicks in LIVE sparring against a resisting opponent and doing this full contact? Or are you relying on sparring that is even more unrealistic than MMA, Kata, drill, punching the air, etc?

Obviously those who bash MMA think they know a more effective way to test their skills, so let's hear it. Please don't tell me that you just "know" what you do works and you're going to find out one day when you are attacked.
Update: G4P: "The answer is simple: Train realistically because you fight the way you train..."

So true.
Update 2: Darth Scandalous: wow, so you're one of those people who gets all pissy whenever someone questions TMA huh? You like to just throw out your numbers of years of training and how you did this or that, blah blah blah and now you think you're a bad-*** because you got to go home safely... welp, doesn't... show more Darth Scandalous: wow, so you're one of those people who gets all pissy whenever someone questions TMA huh? You like to just throw out your numbers of years of training and how you did this or that, blah blah blah and now you think you're a bad-*** because you got to go home safely... welp, doesn't answer the question at all. So your rant is just that, a rant.
Update 3: @Kokoro: The essence of my question is how do you “test” your martial art/skills? There are a lot of traditionalists coming on here lately bashing MMA saying stuff like, “MMA is stupid because it doesn’t allow eye gouging”—do these people practice full contact sparring that actually allows eye gouging? I seriously... show more @Kokoro: The essence of my question is how do you “test” your martial art/skills? There are a lot of traditionalists coming on here lately bashing MMA saying stuff like, “MMA is stupid because it doesn’t allow eye gouging”—do these people practice full contact sparring that actually allows eye gouging? I seriously doubt it. So I’m not sure why you’re getting so upset, but it sure seems like this question is hitting a sensitive spot with you and Darth S.

>>”Why do you do shadow boxing? After all it is just punching in the air and according to you it is completely useless.”

Where did I say punching the air is completely useless? Drill, punching the air/shadowboxing, kata, or whatever else is perfectly fine, but my question, again, is how do you put these to the test? Keep in mind, again, that I’m asking this for an intended audience: those TMAists who bash MMA for have “too many rules” such as no eye gouging, throat strikes, biting, etc. I want to know how the critics of MMA trai
Update 4: n because obviously, they think they have a more realistic system. If you’re not one of these critics, then obviously the question isn’t intended for you. >>“Why don't you go to the boxing section and tell them all there shadow boxing is completely useless, and tell me what kind of response you get.” I... show more n because obviously, they think they have a more realistic system. If you’re not one of these critics, then obviously the question isn’t intended for you.

>>“Why don't you go to the boxing section and tell them all there shadow boxing is completely useless, and tell me what kind of response you get.”

I don’t need to. Again (do we have a reading comprehension problem or something?) the question is HOW DO YOU TELL WHETHER WHAT YOU DO WORKS OR NOT!! Do boxers ONLY shadowbox? Hell no! Ask any boxer what they think is more effective: shadowboxing AND doing live full contact sparring, or shadowboxing only? I guarantee you any boxer worth anything will tell you it’s the former.

>>”kata is a much more advance version of shadow boxing and has far more purpose then you will ever know.”

Didn’t we already go through this and you admitted that his was poor wording on your part?

>>“if you wanted to know the truth about kata you and the others should have gone to pugpaws
Update 5: seminar” Well maybe you should pay closer attention to Pugpaws because in that Q I had a while ago, even he admits that shadowboxing and kata aren’t comparable! >>”oh i'm sorry i forgot, you just want to continue with the lies you constantly tell and dont want to know the truth, you and the others... show more seminar”

Well maybe you should pay closer attention to Pugpaws because in that Q I had a while ago, even he admits that shadowboxing and kata aren’t comparable!

>>”oh i'm sorry i forgot, you just want to continue with the lies you constantly tell and dont want to know the truth, you and the others would never go because you dont want your delusion shattered, and would rather pretend to know and understand when you all know jack.”

Oh that must be it. It couldn’t be due to the fact that I live on the West Coast, have a wife and a baby girl, and I’m not going to fly all the way across the country just for that..

>”as for training and your pathetic rules, why dont you use small circle jujutsu like we do when we spar?
you only mentioned a few techniques we might not use where as small circle jujutsu consists of hundreds, i use it in full contact matches with my partners why cant you guys?”

So you do practice your techniques in full contact against a resisting parnter? We
Update 6: ll fine then. I don’t see why you couldn’t just say that from the beginning. Your response seems more like you’re sparring out of a blind rage rather than actually reading the context of the question.
Update 7: "Your response seems more like you’re sparring out of a blind rage..."

Eh, I mean "responding" out of blind rage.
Update 8: @Kokoro: well Y!A is the place to ask questions and receive answers (hopefully ones that are relevant to the question). And if a TMAist is on here bashing MMA saying it is unrealistic, then I would really like to know how he trains because if it is truly that much better than MMA's methods, then why... show more @Kokoro: well Y!A is the place to ask questions and receive answers (hopefully ones that are relevant to the question). And if a TMAist is on here bashing MMA saying it is unrealistic, then I would really like to know how he trains because if it is truly that much better than MMA's methods, then why wouldn't I want to get in on this too? But, there isn't one offensive thing in my question.

I just find it very ironic. Back in my WTF Taekwondo days, I remember the instructors were talking to me after I took gold at a tournament. I remember he said, "It shows how easy it is to beat someone up, as I am defeating trained opponents while someone on the street knows nothing." But then when the advent of the UFC really started taking off, he would essentially rip on it because of all the "rules"... but yet, our WTF sparring had so many more rules (no punching to the face, no leg kicks, no grabbing, no elbows, fight with pads on). And I found that to be very iro
Update 9: nic that he would think he and other competitors in WTF were badasses, but MMA guys weren't. As for pugpaws' seminar, suffice it to say that if I lived close I would go. But since I don't, I'm sorry, I am not going to fly across the country, spending hundreds of dollars on the plane ticket, hotel,... show more nic that he would think he and other competitors in WTF were badasses, but MMA guys weren't.

As for pugpaws' seminar, suffice it to say that if I lived close I would go. But since I don't, I'm sorry, I am not going to fly across the country, spending hundreds of dollars on the plane ticket, hotel, food, take time away from my family, and possibly have to take time away from work. Nothing at all against pugpaws, but it's just not going to happen.