Why is memorial days traditional day on may 30th? And why did they change it to a monday every year?

General John A. Logan issued a proclamation calling for "Decoration Day" to be observed annually and nationwide in 1868. It was observed for the first time that year on May 30; the date was chosen because it was not the anniversary of any particular battle. According to the White House, the May 30 date was chosen as the optimal date for flowers to be in bloom.

The preferred name for the holiday gradually changed from "Decoration Day" to "Memorial Day", which was first used in 1882. It did not become more common until after World War II, and was not declared the official name by Federal law until 1967.

On June 28, 1968, the Congress passed the Uniform Monday Holiday Act, which moved four holidays, including Memorial Day, from their traditional dates to a specified Monday in order to create a convenient three-day weekend.

Source(s): May 30th is actually my birthday and I remember when I was little my birthday was always "Memorial Day" and the final Monday of the month was "Memorial Day Observed".

So people could get off work.