Is it bad etiquette to call a waitress sweetie?

I am horrible remembering names so I when I am trying to get my server's attention I sometimes call them "sweetie". I was told that this is degrading to them. I meant no disrespect. As a waiter myself many years ago I would much rather someone call me "Sweetie" than "Hey You". Is that offensive to servers to be called "Sweetie"?

Yes it's very rude I would not let anyone refer to me as sweetie in any way shape or form unless I'm in a relationship with you. You can call her Miss or ma'am. Whatever you do don't click your fingers either. .

In these days of PC gone mad it could be. Only use it in a café and watch the reaction. Not in a restaurant. You could try 'Miss'.

depends on your age. if you are a child then it does not matter but as you are an adult you should not do this. you should call them respectfully. also if you visit the same place everyday and if they are familiar with you and you are familiar with them then you should take their permission that if you don't mind should I call you. and then you should do.

Good until one comes and slaps. Enjoy till then.

Yes, and rude and degrading as well.

Yes, it is not proper, Waitresses should be addressed as "Princess".

• ?

It's rude and demeaning.