Is it bad etiquette to call a waitress sweetie?

I am horrible remembering names so I when I am trying to get my server's attention I sometimes call them "sweetie". I was told that this is degrading to them. I meant no disrespect. As a waiter myself many years ago I would much rather someone call me "Sweetie" than "Hey You". Is that offensive to servers to be called "Sweetie"?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favourite answer

Yes it's very rude I would not let anyone refer to me as sweetie in any way shape or form unless I'm in a relationship with you. You can call her Miss or ma'am. Whatever you do don't click your fingers either. .

• 8 years ago

In these days of PC gone mad it could be. Only use it in a café and watch the reaction. Not in a restaurant. You could try 'Miss'.

• 8 years ago

depends on your age. if you are a child then it does not matter but as you are an adult you should not do this. you should call them respectfully. also if you visit the same place everyday and if they are familiar with you and you are familiar with them then you should take their permission that if you don't mind should I call you. and then you should do.

• 8 years ago

Good until one comes and slaps. Enjoy till then.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Yes, and rude and degrading as well.

• 8 years ago

Yes, it is not proper, Waitresses should be addressed as "Princess".

• ?
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

It's rude and demeaning.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.