Australia vs South Africa. Which game was better? The 1999 WC semi-final or the 400+ game?

In 1999, South Africa was looked poised to win the game and head into the final against Pakistan. Off Damien Fleming's and with one wicket in hand bowling Lance Klusener had scored 2 boundaries off the first 2 balls of the over to level up the scores. After a dot ball on the third over, Klusener hits a ball towards mid on and forces a single. Meanwhile Allan Donald at the other end refuses to run doubting his chances at capturing a single, by the time Klusener reaches the other end however, Allan Donald was forced to run and gets run out. This created a tie in which Australia went onto the WC final due to their earlier campaign win against South Africa.

In 2006 on a bouncy Johannesburg with the ODI series squared 2-2, Australia was looked poised to win it after they became the first ever team to reach 400+ runs in an innings. They went onto make 4-434 partially thanks to Ricky Ponting who made 164 as well as Michael Hussey and Simon Katich made 81 and 79 respectively. South Africa in reply lost Boeta Dippenaar very early in the match for 1. From there they stormed to 190 around 20 overs later before Graeme Smith was caught out on 90 runs. This didn't stop Graeme Smith who hammered the ball for another 10 overs before being caught out on 175 from 111 balls. With South Africa Poised nicely they would begin to lose more wickets while being steadily on course to win. In the last over Brett Lee got Andrew Hall out to bring in no. 11 Makhaya Ntini onstrike with 3 balls to go. Ntini would score a quick single towards third man bringing Mark Boucher onstrike. With scores level and 2 balls left, Boutcher would slog a 4 to bring up his 50 and win the game and series for South Africa who finished on 438-9.

I think that the 400+ game was better in my opinion, because it wasn't determined by one moment in the game. It was rather determined by a whole 100 overs of effort of hard hitting.

• Favourite answer

I think you would find most of the Aussies select the WC semis and the proteas select the 400+ one.I watched both the matches live,so here is my opinion

To me the 400+ game was better.You might say its a belter of a wicket and the bowlers deathbed but no team before that game has ever given a thought of chasing a target of 435 in ODI.It was just a complete mauling of the proteas pace attack sans Pollock by Ricky Ponting and Mr.Crcket.During the break,it must've been really mentally draining for the SA skipper and his players,nobody except the capacity crowd at Joburg and diehard SA fans must've thought this was possible and I was one of them,it was a shocker to lose Dippenaer at the start but what followed was one of the greatest ever ODI innings from Gibbs(which you've forgot to mention).He along with Smith,was the maverick on the day playing one of the most brutal and fearless ODI innings ever seen before in a ODI game considering the great pressure they were in against the then World Champions Australia.I know SA is known for choking at important times but not in this one Ntini and boucher ensured that they won the game.

To me the quality of batting from both Ricky and Gibbs was exceptional that day and the match was a absolute thriller.

WC 99 semis is also equally intense thrilling though a low scoring one but due to a stupid mistake from Donald,SA chocked badly,i felt very sorry for Lance who played so well.Warne was at his prime in that game.

The CWC semi final by a small margin for me. First it was a CWC semifinal and the atmosphere was absolutely thrilling. No one would have thought that Australia would advance to the final through a tie. I still remember that match.And cricket was pure passion at that time unlike these days. Match fixing was out of imagination. These days whenever there’s a tight match or some catches are dropped, speculations start making rounds. I am not saying the other match was less enthralling but the CWC one was a classic one and that’ll always be one of the most nail biting contests in the history of the game.

Source(s): When Gibbs dropped S. Waugh in the slips in the initial overs of the game, Waugh said,"You've just dropped the World Cup son". I liked that.

World Cup semi final. A little closer but carried so much meaning to it where as the 434 vs 438 match really carried very little meaning in the grand scheme of things other than Australia had set a world record score and South Africa chased it down to create a new world record at the time.

1999

Tough choice!

Two of the most thrilling ODI's ever played. If I had to choose, I'd go with the CWC semi, simply because it was the WC, and I can remember screaming at the television as the game got tighter.

Yeah, 1999 WC because we won that one. But then again I was hardly in my senses when that was played. So, I will choose the 438-game! The best ODI ever played?

Regards.

Source(s): Great Q though. :)

To me the 400+ game

Always like the high run chases. 400 chase for me.

for me it is 99 match, because finishing was so thrilling and it was a wc semifinal.

For me, 99, because we won that one. :P