Have you ever had a dream that seemed so vivid and real but...?

You found yourself, within the dream, realizing it wasn't real.

I am a person that sleeps so freakin' hard that I can never remember any dreams that I have. I don't deny that I dream, I just never remember. But, last night, I had this dream that seemed so vivid, with me in it.

I am the kind of person that spends way to much time living in the pasts and wants nothing more then to go back 5-6 years of my life. Literally everything that I want in my life is back there, but now all of that is gone from my life.

The reason that I mention this was that because my dream contained everything that I want back, and most of that is people. At first, in the dream, I felt so happy to see all of these people again and happy to be back in a place that I knew and loved. But as the dream progressed, I began wondering why all of these people from different aspects of my life were all in the same place together, when many of them were not even familiar with the place that this dream took place. And then, the me in the dream pieced this all together and realized that this couldn't have been real, and once this hit me within the dream, I said goodbye and began to walk out of the room, but looked over my shoulder at the most important person in the room to me as I was doing so. It was after a few seconds that I woke up in tears.

I know this sounds incredibly made up and most of you will probably tell me so. It's not and I don't care what you think. I am not looking for meaning in it at all. I just want to know if anybody has experienced this before. I am not talking about the crying part. I am talking about the whole cognitively realizing that what is happening isn't real while literally within the dream.

• Joe

Yes that happens. I sometimes question myself in my dream asking if it is a dream or reality. Sometimes I am angry at someone in a dream and wake up angry at that person. Sometimes I get feelings for someone in my dream, and then I wake up and have actual feelings for that person for like an hour. Weird.

I think that your subconscious mind is illuminating to your waking mind, via this dream, of a state of broken-heartedness that you have found yourself in.

You experienced, in your life, a time of richness, a time that contained people who you were with that made you feel good about life and yourself. Now, I think, because of how you feel today, you miss those feel-goods that you experienced back then. You might be able to appreciate in some faith that things can happen for a reason and when the down times come, they can be tests of strength and of patience. If you are a person of good conscience and you know that you put every effort into securing your place in the world - a place of as much peace as you can have and surround yourself as much as you can by encouragers and people that love and value you, then you can get through the dark times. You can also try fostering a philosophical frame of mind, and, in so doing, you never lose hope that life can get better.

It's always hard to lose something that made one to feel good and to find oneself in a place that can be depression. If you are in a situation that you feel you cannot escape, then you could try some lateral thinking about how you can liberate yourself from people/situations that are keeping you down. You cannot go back to the past, as you know, and your subconscious mind knows that too, so maybe this dream was one last goodbye to it from that deeper part of your psyche.

To turn your eyes to the future takes some resolution, some courage and some proactive involvement on your own behalf. If you look at it in a philosophical light, moving forward with hope is part of the maturing process. Then the good and the bad times can come, yet the individual is a far more centred and anchored personality and will not suffer to be so buffeted by disappointments and the flows and ebbs that life can bring. And it could be appreciated that there's richness to be found even within confines of suffering. Carpe diem.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”

― Eleanor Roosevelt