If cutting government spending is supposedly so great for the economy, why is it making things worse in Greece?

For those of you who have forgotten, or just don't pay attention to international economic news, about 2 years ago, Greece adopted a policy of slashing government spending in the hopes of pulling themselves out of a deep recession. It's now two years later, and not only has their economy not recovered,... show more For those of you who have forgotten, or just don't pay attention to international economic news, about 2 years ago, Greece adopted a policy of slashing government spending in the hopes of pulling themselves out of a deep recession.

It's now two years later, and not only has their economy not recovered, but the very people who proposed the plan and were responsible for implementing it are publicly saying it was a mistake and has had the opposite effect it was intended to have.

I don't pretend to be an economics expert. But it's hard to argue with real-world results. So I suppose my question here is... if there is already a notable real-world example of such policies NOT working as intended, why are so many people adamant that the U.S. adopt a similar spending plan?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonk...