For gnostic atheists does the burden of proof not fall on all that assert with 100% certainty that deities?

do not exist?

I am an agnostic atheist, but I find this odd. Many atheists and some have claimed to be gnostic ask for Christians proof when they assert their God is real. I totally agree. On the other hand I feel that gnostic atheists also have the burden of proof for their beliefs. Anyone can answer it is an open forum.

Agnostic atheism- Do not know if deities exist, but I do not believe in them. They are not mutually exclusive so do not place answers about my belief. No rude comments.

No, if one claims santa claus exist then the burden of proof falls on them but if they claim santa claus does not exist they must find evidence that supports that santa claus is just a old pagan belief that is not true.

On the other hand for an agnostic who does not know if dieties exist then that is an answer among itself. One does not know so the burden of proof does not fall on you unless you choose it to be your burden. for an gnostic who claims to know that dieites do not exist then since it is a claim of knowledge, evidence is needed to assert the position to support that knowledge.

Yeah I find it strange too that people who don't follow a religion need to proof their beliefs for choosing to do so. I find that agnostics are usually people who are in a transition period between being a theist who grew up in a religious household and an atheist. The agnostic period is where the person starts to explore their own religion that they grew up on, it's faults, religion's faults, and they just start collection information. They look at empirical evidence supporting an atheist belief, and then they are swayed to become an atheist. Then as an atheist, you look at the vastness of the universe, and maybe you don't believe in organized religion anymore, but maybe in this huge universe, something that doesn't fit organized religion is out there. Some spiritual thing could be out there, but you have no idea what it is, and maybe mankind has not encountered it yet. You just don't know. Then you think the idea is silly, to believe in something you don't even know could possibly exist actually exits, and bam you are now an agnostic (don't know if deities exist) atheist (but you don't believe they do).

The burden of proof lies with the one making the claim that something exists. An Atheist is one who doesn't believe there is any proof for the existence of God, thus why they don't believe in him/them. Belief in magical beings that are becoming less and less necessary and which have never been proven... should not be the default. Disbelief is a default. If you are Christian then you are an Atheist for all the other Gods believed in around the world. You have no need to prove all these Gods don't exist, you only need to recognize that there is no proof they do.

100% certainty of anything is absurd. you cant have 100% certainty that a = a.

No there is no opinion that requires anything like this. All that is required is that the atheist was sufficiently persuaded by whatever reason and knowledge they had.

I consider myself a gnostic atheist and i could talk a long tiem about various reasons that i do not think any god exists...I do have plenty such reasons. But anyway i dont insist that i must be right about anything and i dont have any big issue with theists.

i really dont understand why knowledge about a word that humans actually use sometimes could be impossible. makes no sense to me. If you can talk about something, there must be knowledge of it. The definition of god is weak, of course...and thats an issue...but still some things can be saida about it

...mainly that the essence of where this word god comes from is clearly some psychological relation to us and reality...and the natural instinct humans seem to have that we are extremely important somehow. Well...if we were so improtant...our experiences would be much different. The universe never seems to tire teaching us how insignificant we are. And finially accepting that insignificance is real and useful knowledge.

If something is important to us...it is our responsibility. Nothing else in this universe but us will protect anything or keep anything sacred.

A gnostic atheist makes a claim and as such carry a burden of proof. However, that doesn't change the fact that a theist also makes a claim and likewise carry a burden of proof. The fact that the claims are mutually exclusive doesn't change the fact that they are both claims that require support.

It's entirely appropriate for a gnostic atheist to ask a theist for evidence for his position, as long as he remembers that if the theist cannot do so, that doesn't validate the gnostic atheist position; that requires evidence of its own. A lack of evidence for theism only validates the agnostic atheist position.

I was atheist/agnostic for several years, but was raised in a Jewish household and taught Hebrew..then last year had a revelation of sorts and am growing in my faith with Christ, despite the logical side of me that constantly struggles with how impossible it all could be. So I understand wholly both sides of the argument! Since the atheist/agnostic side is based on substantial physical evidence, and the Christian side is based off of faith, it's pretty much a never ending cycle back and forth,

In which I don't think either side will make any headway with the other. You can't prove God exists but you can't discredit the feeling of the Spirit inside you if you're a believer either! It's all very confusing *_*

• John

I consider myself an agnostic atheist.

So the burden of proof rests on my disbelief? I cannot prove that god or gods don't exist and I readily concede that. But anything unseen could theoretically exist. And how do we discriminate between what we believe to be true and what we believe to be false? Evidence.

No. The positive claim is still that "God exists!" It a claim stated without evidence of any kind, just thoughts, ideas, hopes, feelings, beliefs and multi-thousand year old texts written by cultures so alien to us they might as well be Klingons. Atheism, strong and weak, is merely a rejection of theistic claims.

No, the burden of proof is on theists, you cannot prove that something does not exist. Many atheists believe that they KNOW the answer to gods existence (or lack of) as many theists believe that they also KNOW that god exists. Both are equally wrong, they cannot know

Can you prove that Santa Claus doesn't exist?

Shouldn't it be up to you to prove this if it is true?

• Graham

Most "atheists" cannot get to grips with this concept.

Well done to you sir