My HP PSC 1210 printer is not printing with a full black ink cartridge. it says ink is empty, help me?

I have an HP PSC 1210 all in one printer and I only need it for school papers so I only put a black ink cartridge in it. Since ink is expensive. After no more than 10 pages it claims that the ink is empty and refuses to print anything. it doesn't even try to print. The black ink cartridge is full though. I... show more I have an HP PSC 1210 all in one printer and I only need it for school papers so I only put a black ink cartridge in it. Since ink is expensive. After no more than 10 pages it claims that the ink is empty and refuses to print anything. it doesn't even try to print. The black ink cartridge is full though. I cleaned the surface areas of the cartridge and where it reads the cartridge, I set my printers setting to only print in grey scale. I read about this online and found exactly nothing other than the printer is supposed to be in "reserve mode" when one cartridge is low or it only has one cartridge in it, like mine. So far this printer is proving to be a royal piece of sh*t. I'm under the impression that the printer just isnt getting any info from the cartridge and thinks there are no cartridges in it.
Update: Ok but it printed for a few days without the color cartridge in it. Did it really just print for a little bit and then decide, "Well I'm a printer and you arent feeding me any color so I'm going to stop with the black now." It will for certain start right back up when it has color in it and the... show more Ok but it printed for a few days without the color cartridge in it. Did it really just print for a little bit and then decide, "Well I'm a printer and you arent feeding me any color so I'm going to stop with the black now." It will for certain start right back up when it has color in it and the "reserve mode" it is supposed to go into with only one cartridge is bogus?