Anonymous

Why are Americans so obsessed with race and stereotype?

I've traveled to many part of the world and met many people of different ethnic as well as culture. Whenever I`m in U.S I'm bombarded with stereotypes about race, religion, and culture. This is the only country that seems so obsessed with race and stereotypes. There could be a person that has never eaten with an Asian family and instantly believes they eat cat. What is wrong with you people? I realized that major broadcast networks sends you nothing but useless information on celebrities, slutty girls, and racial/cultural stereotypes. Most of you not knowing a person culture or ethnicity you instantly assume things about them based on race. I`m trying to understand your reasoning, could you explain yourself?

I agree with Kayan.

We are a multi-cultural nation, and we are constantly dealing with different customs and people.

It should be no surprise that a lot of what's on the American mind is "race"/ethnicity.

But I think America, in terms of racial/ethnic tolerance, is far ahead of most other countries because we have been dealing with these things for most of our history. Most nations are pretty homogenous and do not have any experience in learning to deal with different people living in their nations.

• demers

I dont experience that merely individuals are enthusiastic approximately stereotypes, im helpful it exists everywhere. i think that that's perchance extra emphasised in American subculture because of the fact of hollywood movies, television shows, and so on. additionally in American and Canada to boot (i stay in canada yet i became born in Korea) there are lots of of cultures blended jointly and we don't be responsive to each thing approximately one subculture or race. So as quickly as we get a raffle to income slightly approximately one subculture or race we predict of the entire subculture or the entire race, or that kin or that guy or woman is often and all like what you have experienced. Its like first impact the place whilst u see somebody as quickly as and that they are dressed grimy and that merely leaves a picture on your head. additionally stereotypes are frequently used as humor on television and in media. like who doesnt be responsive to that "blond-dumb-cheerleader" stereotype, or "coke-bottle-glasses-laptop-nerd" or "warm-soccer-participant" all of us be responsive to stereotypes are undesirable and the offend that categorical team yet quite there are some people who're high-quality sufficient to settle for u as a guy or woman, no longer choose you and classify you as a sterotype. shall we are hoping that quantity grows!

It is very sad I know. Many people are just insecure. I understand it sounds typical to say, but it is the real thing. America is a very competitive place and very materialistic. They tend to see people based on the items they have or their fame or beauty.

There has been a large assimilation of cultures in America and I believe it caused a lack of morality in the end because cultures have not been preserved. I am not saying that we should stick to our own race, I am just saying that people have just been very judgemental because of the greed that has been induced into the media and portrayed as something to satisfy us until we feel like we have all the power.

Basically, (because I know you are probably confused or probably skiped most of what I said and came to the last part), people in America are just ignorant.

not all of them though, because it is generalizing to say that all of them are.

• Kayan

I agree with you, but I think Americans are highly obsessed with race and stereotype because it has a multicultural identity. It is not a homogeneous country like India or China, in terms of race --- so there are many unknowns. Of course, I should also mention, not all Americans are obsessed with race and stereotype ---- but I get where you're coming from.

We don't thats just some not all , Its just streotypical , I mean when I went to England everyone thought I would be like the guy from high school musical , and lol your judging

it because our country has to deal with all the races of the world , while others don't and think they can judge us because of it. lets see how you county handle racial diversity before you talk.s

America is still a racist country.