Adware/spyware problem?

Running XP pro, Firefox on an older puter. The last two weeks, I have been randomly opened to various sites while online. Opening links from say,Google search also directs me to unwanted sites. The more critical problem; My temporary internet files folder has bloated to consume all available space on the... show more Running XP pro, Firefox on an older puter. The last two weeks, I have been randomly opened to various sites while online. Opening links from say,Google search also directs me to unwanted sites.
The more critical problem; My temporary internet files folder has bloated to consume all available space on the drive,often shutting down windows. At 15 gigabyte and growing,I can not access,delete, display,or manipulate any files/folders within this directory. My anti spyware has been useless, and my firewall minimally blocks some of the redirection in Firefox.
I have tried a half dozen anti spyware programs without success,some have compounded the problem. I have even resorted to some very powerful disk tools like hex workshop, still no success.
I would be most grateful if anyone knows what virus/malware this may be,and where I may find a removal tool or software that will delete these temp files.
I am not a nubee to data recovery/virus removal, but this has me frustrated to the point of C-4 .
(where's a good hacker when you need one)
Update: TNX Queryguy, I know where the folder is, I simply can not do anything with its contents.
Explorer shows a blank panel, but there are 250000 filels in 5 folders. NOTHING will delete them.
Update 2: TNX Ralph, You can understand my delema in that nothing in any tools,restoration, even brute force tools like hex workshop will not delete these files or folders,even when the drive is slaved to another computer, and have ruled out boot sector issues. AVG scans these files and show problems solved, but the contents... show more TNX Ralph, You can understand my delema in that nothing in any tools,restoration, even brute force tools like hex workshop will not delete these files or folders,even when the drive is slaved to another computer, and have ruled out boot sector issues. AVG scans these files and show problems solved, but the contents are still there and the temp folder grows with use. I have 4 kb available on the disk.
To make needed room,I'm removing installed software which is what I am trying to avoid.