ICC expands T20 World Cup 2014 to 16 teams. Your say?

http://cricket.yahoo.com/news/icc-board-expands-20...

I think it will be a boost associate and affiliate teams. I suppose T20 is the right platform to bring the teams in for cricket as there is more competition and your history doesn't matter much. Just like Afghanistan, many other countries can also earn ODI status through T20.

What's your take on this?

BQ: Do you think World Cup 2015 should be made a ten team affair?

I think no. 10 team means either Ireland or Zimbabwe has to miss. After Zimbabwe has got back a test status, Ireland has to miss. And I think it's unfair to them. What's your say?

32 Answers

Relevance
  • Favourite answer

Good Step by ICC. Cricket should not be limited to 10 or 15 countries. In order to expand the cricket, ICC must encourage other members of cricket. Because the only format by which these associate & affiliate teams can start & compete with full members is T20. They should be given eligibility based on their performance and it should be step by step approach.

Good performance in T20 ► ODI status ► Good Performance in ODI ► Test status.

BQ: If ICC is planning to complete the tournament in less number of days than earlier tournaments, then it should reduce the number of teams. By considering the commercial benefits(which needed for ICC in order to stay alive) they won't like it to finish in one month. So they will increase teams upto 12 & they will try to put knock out matches.

☛ If something happens like Zimbabwe or Ireland to miss the tournament then it may not be unfair, because removal process is not based on the past glory. There will be qualifier matches to decide which team can enter into the tournament.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

A very right decision.

Football has 32 teams, why can't cricket hace 16? I think all 16 should play qualifiers not only 6. Who know India might get beaten by Bangaladesh or Pakistan may not enter WC after being defeated by Ireland. or England get disappointed by Afganistan. NewZealand might not be qualified because of Nepal. Anything can happen. Its unfair that some teams are qualified naturally, while the rest have to earn the remaining spot.

• 4 years ago

i personally think there is now, with the introduction of the t20 world cup, 1 too many tournaments out of the three i believe that the champions trophy should go. Not because it is any less important, but then you please both fans of ODI's and T20's. the best format of world tournaments is to have a world cup (That needs to be streamlined) every 4 years as it is and have a t20 every 2 years. i also think that general tours should have something near this structure. 3-5 tests, 3 ODI's, 3 T20s There something for everyone there and there is no overkill of any format. I mean whats the need for 7 ODIs in a series. 5 is almost too many. 7 is just greedy cricket boards wanting more money.. We need to make sure there is no overkill of any format, and make sure no format gets too little. tests also need to remain as the most important and pinacle of the game.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

very good idea

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • afloat
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

a good step.in my view there should not be more than 10 teams in odi world cups.

But there can be over 10 in T20's.

In 2011 WC due to more teams the shedule wasn't appreciable.after one match one has to wait for a long interval . -a boaring one.

in T20 one team can play 2 continous matches one with a one day break.But in ODI's it is against ICC rules to play two consecutive ODI's.

ppl often thinks that weaker teams makes any tournament boreing.

but i think that it rather makes the tournament more interesting.

when weaker team defeats a good one.

also it supports the right to equality.

it does not matter if one is either poor are good.he has inborn right to participate.

• 8 years ago

Eagerly awaiting for Olympics 2020.

T20 cricket will be played by many of new cricketing nations in world.

• 8 years ago

Unlucky for Team india. Because 2007 WC there are 16 teams

• small
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

T20 World cup may even be expanded further to have 20 teams.... it's a shorter format of the game and good teams can not be knocked just because of one or two bad outing.

In the 1-Day format, there are 100 overs in a game and normally it takes many more than a single individual to turn a game around..... here it is fine to have only 10 teams, provided there are at least two reserved slots that would go to the top two performers from the rest of the 20-25 teams in the world.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I like it. I always wanted that amount of teams to participate in the T20 world cup.

BQ- Yes, I think 10 are enough in 50-50 world cup, but on a condition- Zimbabwe, replaced by Ireland as they are a far better team than Zimbabwe, they can be replaced by Zimbabwe, and also get the test status.Coming to the question,I think there's no wrong in this, they will get a chance to play in T20 world cups, if they will play well, they would get a chance in the 50-50 world cups too.

• T J
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Yes its the best possible format, where young teams can upset established teams, on a good day. Even ODI's is not every new team's cup of tea. T-20 being the bang bang format, if Ryan Tendoeschate or Kevin O'Brien kind of good players get stuck into a regular team, they can actually win it for their teams.

ODI's present a team to consolidate after a slow or bad start, as there is plenty of time & overs in hand. Bangladesh has just learnt to be good in 50 overs, otherwise they were competing till a certain stage & then used to fall apart, to let the bigger teams make a comeback.

But having 16 teams in ODI World Cup prolongs the tournament unduly, 12 teams are good enough & T-20 can certainly have 16 teams, as matches are of shorter duration. Not bad idea to give more new teams a break in T-20 World Cup..

Source(s): you were supposed to be in school, I got a * quite early from you. I tried sending u a mail, in reply to yours but it didn't go th.
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.