Atheists: Do you avoid words that etymologically suggest the existence of a deity?

For instance, when speaking about biological beings, do you tend to use "organism" rather than "creature," since the second implies a created being? Do you use "excitement" rather than "enthusiasm," since the second, from the root "theos," implies possession by a deity?

Please note: As Maurog succinctly pointed out, this would be impossible to do all the time. I'm simply asking if you ever find yourself avoiding such words when you can.

This is the internet. There is a lot of contrast between an erudite philologist and the guy that posts the big middle finger in text. There's got to be some good middle ground there somewhere.

Nope. If I have use for a word I use it if I deem it at the time to be the word I wish to use. :-)

I don't even have a problem calling out to god when I am having sex, I almost do it intentionally. LOL

The word "god" is just a word. Like the F word has many uses to convey feeling, so too does the word "god". If I say "oh my god" it is because those three words typically tell the person I am speaking with how I feel about something I have seen or heard. It means I am appalled by something, or I am stunned by something that happened or something I have heard. If I am angry I might convey that feeling with a good old fashioned "god damnit".

If I can't believe someone just did something stupid I might say "oh for heaven's sake, are you really that stupid?"

It is not like I suddenly can no longer have a lack of belief in a supreme being because I sing along with Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven, using those words or phrases associated with religion/spirituality does not disqualify me from being an Atheist.

I had no idea bout "enthusiasm" and have to admit I'm a bit doubtful. As for "creature", yes, I do avoid that word sometimes, and for the reason you suggest.

• Fred

No. I do not mind using the names of the days of the week or the months of the year, even though they are based on ancient gods. I am surprised that christians do not mind using the names of the pagan gods.

Sure. Like you avoid using 'Monday', 'Tuesday', 'Wednesday', 'Thursday', and 'Friday' because you have some objection to acknowledging the existence of Máni, Tiw, Wodan, Thor and Frige.

I always say "the fifth day of the week" rather than Thursday, as it suggests the existence of Thor.

I actually have never found myself using those words. I do on occasion say Thursday and feel the power of Thor.

Play with words as much as you want you pathetic atheist sheepling. You can't change the fact that Lord Almighty exists and his soldiers are ready to crush any kind of rebellion by the godless pigs.

No, because most religious people are too dumb to pick up on the nuances of language

we create eachother while helping to create reality by existing

i do say excited over enthusiastic but i didnt know thats what it meant