Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Soccer)Spanish Football (Soccer) · 8 years ago

Is it safe to say that Lionel Messi is the best club player ever?

I've said it before and I'll say it again ; Messi is the best club player ever. There are reasons with disagreeing with the statement though.

Messi has already broken records that takes years for others to break. The little man has already won 3 champions league, 5 La liga, 2 Club world cup, 1 Ballon d'or and 2 FIFA Ballon d'or. He is one the top scorer in the history of FC Barcelona, and already has 14 goal in the clasico.

Messi brilliance is what separates a fantastic Real Madrid side and Barcelona. He make a difference in almost every single big game. If he doesn't score, he assist ( directly or indirectly)...He's pure magic, let's face it.

Fantastic player Indeed!

Update 2:

@Freshy is back...again: You've a point. Messi is playing for team who dominate 70+% of possession per game. But what if you put CR or any other player in that position...Can they ( Ronaldo or any other striker) do what Messi is doing for Barcelona? The answer is NO.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favourite answer

did someone hack your account? or got on it while you left it open?

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 years ago

Yes. Messi has won every individual and team honors at club level and as a Real Madrid I'm annoyed by cos he's too good. Tormenting Real Madrid many times in the Clasicos. His brilliance has translated into the rest of Barca as they won trophies left and right.

It's like how Michael Jordan dominated the NBA in the 90's.

The only thing that will make Messi the GOAT is to win the World Cup and be his country's best player in the tournament.

• Beau
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

As a neutral I say he definitely already is the greatest ever in the domestic game.

If Messi plays a key role in winning a World Cup and a Copa America, takes home another FIFA Ballon d'Or and wins another La Liga and Champions League with Barcelona, he should be considered as the greatest ever footballer of all time.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

What you have to ask yourself is this: Can Messi be just as good with a team other than Barcelona? The answer is most likely no. The current players at Barcelona are probably responsible for half of Messi's form.

EDIT: I didn't say anybody else in his position can do what he does, there is no doubt Messi is the best player right now. What I'm saying is that Barcelona makes him even better than he really is. That is evident by the fact he can't do much for Argentina.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Quite clearly yes.

He's now only 7 goals away from becoming Barcelona's all-time top-scorer, and the scariest thing is that he's just 24 years old, despite the fact that there's so much time left for him before the end of his career, it is unbelievable what he has already achieved, just imagine how much he'll have done by the time he retires.

fantastic player and Barcelona are incredibly lucky to have him.

• 8 years ago

5 goals in one game? That's crazy. Congratulations to Messi!

• 8 years ago

Very well said. If he doesnt win a WC people will deny him being the best of all time but he certainly has to be the best club player ever

• 8 years ago

Best of this generation for sure. But imo it's difficult to compare different eras, so I guess it depends what era you live in.

• 8 years ago

Totally agree with u

• lol@saying Di Stefano is better player because he won few cups that were on a level of Emirates cup at the time he was playing them and that he won few trophies with a club that was supported by state dictator.. LOOOL.... BOJAN would accomplish everything Di Stefano did if he was in his shoes. Not saying that Di Stefano was a bad player but to say that a player who was playing in the 50's half of his career fixed matches is even comparable with Messi is laughable.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.