Wireless network help needed?

The criteria; I have set up a wifi hot spot for my home,and am very computer literate.The setup appears to work just fine(using it now) a desk machine running XPpro, a Motorola EDA, and a Samsung smartphone, all connect just fine using 128 bit WEP. The problem: I have a laptop also running XPpro that simply... show more The criteria;
I have set up a wifi hot spot for my home,and am very computer literate.The setup appears to work just fine(using it now) a desk machine running XPpro, a Motorola EDA, and a Samsung smartphone, all connect just fine using 128 bit WEP.
The problem:
I have a laptop also running XPpro that simply refuses to connect to the router.
Symptoms; after entering the key,it progresses for a short time, then just quits without connecting or displaying any error.
The lappy works fine on other wireless infrastructures,just not on my router.
I have double and triple checked my router configuration,and keys needed to access it. I have also tried manual settings at the laptop with no success.
If anyone has any clues as to solving this, I would be more than greatful
TNX
Update: Thanks laurence, I raked through those issues, there is no mac filtering,and with nothing connected it still fails,yet 3 other devices will connect simultaneously. the IP is DHCP (automatic) The router, (linksys befw11s4) which defaults with 802.11b The laptop (compaq presario 2000) supports 802.11b,g,n (set to... show more Thanks laurence, I raked through those issues, there is no mac filtering,and with nothing connected it still fails,yet 3 other devices will connect simultaneously. the IP is DHCP (automatic)
The router, (linksys befw11s4) which defaults with 802.11b
The laptop (compaq presario 2000) supports 802.11b,g,n (set to auto configure)forcing 'b','g','n', doesn't help.As noted,this machine has no problem on other wireless connections, and 3 other devices connect to the router just fine. You see why I'm pulling my hair out.
And thanks Adrian for your support.
Update 2: Thank you for your suggestion Robert, I have already planned on upgrading the system at a future time. Meanwhile, my symptoms remain the same whether I 'auto' or 'manually' configure the connection with the equipment I have.You sound like you know what you are talking about, you you can understand... show more Thank you for your suggestion Robert, I have already planned on upgrading the system at a future time.
Meanwhile, my symptoms remain the same whether I 'auto' or 'manually' configure the connection with the equipment I have.You sound like you know what you are talking about, you you can understand my frustration in that the 'only' router the notebook wont connect to is this one,and the 'only' machine so far that wont connect to the router is the notebook.There is a logical reason, and I will find it.(may become addicted to aspirin though)