What size load bearing beam do I need for a 19 foot span? roof truss above are 16" apart.?

this is to support the roof on the second floor of a two story house. I have access to install s steel post from the foundation to the second floor sill plates and was planning to install a second post over this to support that end. the other end is supported by the same wall over a poured foundation that runs through the basement. both apartments are built the same and no changes to the first floor wall is being done.

• Irv S

WAY too little info there.

How much load are those trusses supposed to be carrying?

How much 'extra load' are you adding to that steel column,

and it's foundation, and what were they designed for?

This kind of modifiaction takes engineering approval.

(You won't get a C. of O. without an 'approved plan y'know.)

Source(s): Retired Construction Consultant

You are going to need an engineering calculation for this using all the known parameters for the location even down to the amount of snow that could hold on the roof as this can add considerably to the imposed weight on the beam.

• Dale

Go to your local lumber supply company with a dimensional drawing of your project. They in turn will send this information to a company that makes glue lam beams and they will size it for you. I would not use LVL beams because the have a tendency to sag, use only glue lam beams. For a few dollars more this will be a better job. Regards, Dale

Source(s): I'm a builder