Brian asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 9 years ago

Lines across my tv on low channels when my cable modem is on?

I get these annoying lines across my TV on low channels 2-6. I don't have a cable box. I just get channels 1-20. The cable goes to a splitter, which then splits to my cable modem, and the TV. When I unplug my modem, the lines go away. Any ideas why this is happening? This is nothing new, it's always been like this.

• Minnie

Lines indicate a low incoming signal or an open ground. You need to call the cable company and have them fix it.

The cable modem is probably bleeding back into the cable line. You'd want to call your cable company about a new modem, a new filter/splitter, or you could just try grounding your cable, see if that helps.

There should be a filter in the cable splitter and it's usually marked as to which output is which (e.g. TV and FM radio/modem). Make sure the TV and the cable modem are plugged into the correct outputs.