In AFL do you prefer to attend afternoon or night games?

Because i have to travel to either ground here in QLD. my choice is to attend afternoon matches. but it seems that there are more & more games being scheduled at night. even the bulk of Carlton home games in Melb. the team plays a staggering 80% night games for season 2012.

My reason for a dislike of night games is obvious. its usually after midnight by the time you get home from a game. + my young nephew,who is 10 years old. his mum wont allow him to attend games with us. because of this reason. which i reckon is fair enough.

So what are your thoughts on this one?

• Viet P

The afternoon games are great because it has been a tradition in Australian Rules football for over a century. 30 years ago an average home-and-away round in the VFL (now AFL) had six matches, most of them on a Saturday afternoon. In addition to the MCG and the now-closed Waverley, they were played at various suburban grounds like Princes Park and the Whitten Oval.

Progressing into the 1990s and the 21st century, with interstate expansion of the AFL, the rise of night games and the opening of Docklands Stadium in 2000, all suburban grounds in Melbourne have stopped playing these games permanently, but the afternoon tradition continues, with two arvo games played each on Saturday and Sunday. The AFL also hosts afternoon games on major public holidays such as Easter Monday, ANZAC Day and Queen's Birthday.

I'm a traditionalist and i prefer the day games any time, when i lived in melbourne we'd go to arvo games at the G, always starting at the local pub at 12, then getting the train into Richmond, into the Cricketers Arms or Royal Hotel, then over to the MCG for an afternoon of Footy and Drinking Beer, those were the days.

Afternoon is good if it isn't so hot and the sun doesn't cover the oval. Night games are good but I agree with you, because you get back after midnight. If he can't get into Night games, then go to the Afternoon games. Just it should be fine because it isn't summer season when AFL starts.

Source(s): I also go to the afternoon games :)

Like most who have answered, I'm a tradionalist and much prefer to attend and watch afternoon games. There's nothing better that going to a game on Saturday afternoon with a few mates, than going to the local pub few coldies or bourbons after the game, than going back home or to any one of my mates place and grabbing a few pizza's and watch the night game on the tele.

• shane

I believe afternoon games are the best as they allow for the maximum attendance. The AFL should do away with Sunday Night games as I believe they are played more for T.V. than for the live Fans.

I would much prefer a night game - though thats because my kids are too young to go so it lets me spend the days with them

as they get older and can come to the day games but not night, I may change my mind

• ?

I'd say night games. Afternoon games are alright as well, but at night, the lights make the game look abit better.

Night games. Reason the atmosphere at night games is better except for finals matches.

day / arvo games much better