Isn't a definition of religious 'faith' basically saying 'Well I believe it & that's good enough for me'?

If you DON'T just re-read my definition & see if it could replace the rebuttal you may be tempted to give:

'Well I believe* it & that's good enough for me'

* 'believe' does NOT mean 'know' unless you can say EXACTLY HOW you know (people ALWAYS seem to think these words are interchangeable for some reason -they are NOT!)

WATCHER: I've heard the tired old 'Do you love your mother?' argument many many times. Yeah sure I love my mother (did -she's not around actually) but there IS evidence that emotions are real. they can be imaged in the brain using an MRI scanner. That does not de-value emotions in any way. Why should it?

Tony R: Actually no the vast majority of atheists actually DON'T say they 'know' god is not real. that is not what atheism means. it means not being convinced that any gods are real & that is all. If i say I don not BELIEVE aliens exist am i saying I KNOW they don't or that I am simply not convinced by the arguments? -Well?

MortalGuardian: Why say 'I personally think that there are some things that are known (and are hence knowable), and there are things that are unknown. Some of those things that aren't known must be accepted based upon faith.'

Why 'MUST'??? You've just admitted these things are NOT knowable so why MUST you decided ONE answer MUST be right then! It MAY be correct but MUST be? Why isn't 'MAY BE' a more sensible attitude?

My understanding is different. Faith is committing to live one's life based on the principles of something being true (without necessarily factually knowing it to be true). Call that delusion if you will, but in my opinion a belief that one's actions towards others will have eternal consequences, for instance, generally makes one act with more compassion and responsibility than a conclusion drawn from pure logic (without values), such as "we are just the repositories of selfish genes".

• gholar

does not this type of cynicism unavoidably lead you to question your person senses? finally, the situation of the shortcoming of purpose expertise means you are able to desire to be being tricked by utilising the comparable God you deride. you are able to desire to be trapped in a fake certainty with all your information and sensory information as basically a projection. How do you understand your not? Or do you in simple terms have self assurance which you experience a "actual certainty"? certainly, as a "clever, knowledgeable person" you are able to understand that sound exists which you do not hear (low frequency) and that gentle exists which you won't be ready to ensure (ultraviolet, infrared) and yet you're so confident of your person concept which you may argue against believing in some thing that, for others, fills the gaps of expertise that no person could be fool hearty adequate to disclaim. for many individuals, being open-minded is a distinctive characteristic.

• Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

• Zach

Matthew 7:7 - Ask and you shall receive, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened to you.

Have you ever asked God if he's out there to let you know? Maybe you should.

pretty much

• MOMMAH

Hebrews 11:1

[ By Faith We Understand ] Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrew...

Source(s): If you drop dead tonight do you KNOW where you will spend ETERNITY?
  • Tony R

But don't atheist do that to. They say 'I know there is no God" but that is a belief based on nothing as well. We as humans have such limited knowledge of the universe. Even with all the technology we have now, it could still just be on the level of a 2 year old compared to what might be.

So if you take a totally objective view, you could say both sides do not know, just based on human knowledge alone.

PS> Sorry, but you did ask. Next time don't.

No, it is not enough to say I believe. It is supported by the Bible

I personally think that there are some things that are known (and are hence knowable), and there are things that are unknown. Some of those things that aren't known must be accepted based upon faith. This is my own view- your mileage may vary.

Source(s): Christian.

According to Mark Twain, faith is belief in something you know isn't true.

Your question is predicated on the assumption that God does not exist. If God exists then your question isnt consistent to the nature of our faith;

John 6

43"Stop grumbling among yourselves," Jesus answered. "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the Prophets: 'They will all be taught by God.' Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me.

John 10

27My sheep listen to my voice; I (Jesus) know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one."

Romans 9

15 For he (God) says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,

and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

16 It does not, therefore, depend on man’s desire or effort, but on God’s mercy.

Ephesians 1

4 For he (God) chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlfEdJNn15E

Youtube thumbnail

God bless you.