?
? asked in SportsFootballEnglish Football · 9 years ago

Why did Alan Hansen get told to apologise?

I did'nt know Park,Nani,Arshavin or even Kompany where Black as to me they are coloured so why have the FA got their butts in their hands?

Just an observation

Just an observation

@Bluey-Did i say the FA had anything to do with Hansen?I mean why dont they ask John Terry and Suarez to apologise as well as Anton and Patrice as to me it should've av been settled on the pitch rather than now aving to see people watch their tongues.just an observation

"were" not "Where" truthfully i am Black and sometimes i refer to myself as a person of color rather than African American this or that...i don`t see a problem why type cast people.

but what does retired Liverpool player Hanson have to do with the FA?

• CMD

This is what he said

"No it's not. If you played twenty-five … I think it's better, not only with the players but with the supporters. I think there's a lot of coloured players in all the teams, all the major teams, and there's a lot of coloured players that are probably the best in the Premier League and, as I say, if you look twenty-five, thirty years ago, it was probably in a bad way, not as bad as some of the nations in the Continent, but certainly there's always, always room for improvement."

Yes he shouldn't have said but, and as much as i HATE Hansen and cringed when he said it, it was not mean with ill intent, as he was saying how diverse the PL has become.

People of that generation use the term 'coloured', and are unaware that many consider it unpleasant as in the 60s-70 it was a more acceptable term.

But we aren't in the 60-70's anymore, and he is on TV and show understand why it would **** some people off.

You got to agree with that statement. Man United are already 2 points clear with a game in hand. And that is against Fulham at home. Fulham have yet to win away from home. And if Chelsea beat Liverpool, they will be 3 points clear with a superior goal difference. Right now, it is Aston Villa and Arsenal that Liverpool got to worry about. It seems even 4th spot is not save for the Kops.

I think if people are kicking up a fuss because a man said "coloured" because he rather obviously thought saying "black" would be too sensitive then they need to get a life and/or shut their mouths.

He was even saying theres always room for improvement in eradicating racism, why the f*ck would you condemn him for saying something racist when he clearly didn't mean it and plenty of people don't find "coloured" to be a racist term is beyond me.

Some people really need to get their head out their arses.

Don`t forget Ron Atkinson was banned from commentating for being racist !!

..and Andy Gray from Sky for being sexist ..

@ with regard to Alan Hansen ,whatever is said it will always offend someone (Black or coloured), intended or not .

I didn't know that he was told to apologise but it was probably because some viewers complained about his outdated terminology. Some people don't like the term "coloured people" as it singles them out as outsiders. In some sense it's correct but I wouldn't be offended if someone called me coloured.

• I think he genuinely had no idea that "coloured" is perceived as offensive by some people and once he was made aware of the fact he apologized straight away. Fair enough no?

Because everyone interprets words differently- it can be interpreted into something negative. It can be used in a racist term

hysteria at the moment

I think "Colored" is the correct phrase.

The phrase Black can be offensive becuase it separates th Blacks from the Whites.

What did Hansen say exactly? I didn't watch that MOTD