Is 10-team World Cup a good idea?

Haroon Lorgat, the ICC CEO, has said the 10 Full Members were unwilling to go through a qualification system for the 50-over World Cup, blocking plans for a 10-team event in 2015.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current...

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favourite answer

No. There are at least 12 teams worthy of a place in the World Cup:

The 9 test playing nations, Zimbabwe, Ireland and Netherlands.

To have less than 12 teams in a World Cup denies the latter three countries the opportunity to play top-tier opposition, which they need if they are to become a top-tier nation themselves.

And for the good of the game, it is important to have as many top tier nations in cricket as possible.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • zxv
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Well there seem to be two opinions. One only best teams should be able to participate in the WC and only best teams during the WC ending up in finals. Second WC is a big event and more teams the better as the other teams also get a chance to compete and get noticed, and it will help popularize cricket. Then there are commercial interests too.

I am personally in favor of 10 teams WC, as WC should be a competition between the best teams. But other teams should get a chance hence the qualifying part. That way WC will remain competitive, in the last cricket WC the results were expected and top 8 teams ended up in the quarter finals anyway. Both Ponting and Smith complained, Ponting saying they are finding it hard to get momentum.

Not just that I think it should become even more competitive, and teams go straight to semi-finals and play another six matches to decide who'd be in the finals. That way the luck part is taken out substantially, with Quarter finals even the 8th team has a chance to beat no3 team, and end up in the semi finals.

There is no harm in trying it I suppose. There is always the chance to return to 12+ teams in the next WC. Maybe another tournament can be arranged where all teams can participate. At the moment I would say Test WC is even bigger priority.

• Bill P
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Some interesting comments on the article. Perhaps leave it at 10 for the 2019 ODI WC but only the top 4 from the 2015 WC automatically make the 2019 WC. The other teams all play off for the remaining 6 places.

• 4 years ago

ok, so some communities would be on the tip of a thrashing from the "attempt" sides in the CWC in 2011. slicing the communities back to 10 will in ordinary terms enable 2 of the so-observed as "minnow" sides to compete with the super boys in 2015. There must be extra communities in the sequence, no longer much less! the cost of the CWC to those sides is they get to teach their stuff on the super degree ... submit to in techniques Bermuda in a prior WC? they had a bloke that weighed approximately 15 stone and became into able to field in the slips taking 2nd and third slips place? it somewhat is entertainment! gazing him dive and take a ripsnorter of a capture! The shockwave in all hazard brought about the Haiti earthquake in a protracted time! And did no longer eire knock over the Pakis in a similar sequence? does not have the means to in 2015 in the event that they are not in the comp! And solid your techniques back to the 80 3 worldwide Cup -- Zimbabwe beat Australia -- and then had the Indians at 6 down for approximately 19 runs in the previous Kapil Dev desperate to pass ballistic and belt a hundred seventy five runs! by using the factors mooted for 2015, if this became into the case in 1983, properly then perchance Zimbabwe could no longer have even been competing! extra communities I say! Make it like the soccer worldwide Cup with the perfect 24 perchance competing!!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 years ago

This decision is very bad for little teams So i suggest to Haroon Lorgat that must be arrange mini world cup between little teams.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It is not good idea. Because our cricket world is small. When this area will large. At least 50 countries ability to play world cup. Then we can cut some countries in World cup.

• 9 years ago

What an idea sir ji ......

If this is the case then , all d matches in WC will be interesting and will be less predictable .

• 9 years ago

What a bad Idea Sir ji.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I don't think...the associates should given chance to play...

• 9 years ago

Not Really.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.