If I believe in God but also accept the possibility that He may not exist, does that make me agnostic?

I've always considered myself a Christian (and likely always will) but I am curious as to whether or not this is the explicit way of defining Agnosticism.

No but what it does tell me is that your faith is not strong enough.Remember Thomas in the Bible who said that until he puts his fingers into Jesus hands and into his side will he believe that he rose from the dead. He too lacked faith. l wish l could tell you how to get more faith but l can't because we each have our own journey to travel in getting to know God, his love or us, our love for him and of curse complete faith in him and his word.

• Tao

Christianity and agnosticism (small a) are not mutually exclusive. Agnosticism is not a religion, but a statement of epistemology.

Do you believe in gods, deities or divinities? If yes, you're a theist; if no, an atheist.

Do you claim special knowledge (usually) of gods, deities or divinities? If yes, you're a gnostic; if no, an agnostic.

Agnosticism is a very rational position to take regardless of your belief (or lack thereof) since there is absolutely no evidence for anything supernatural. Without proof, how could you possibly claim knowledge?

So it sounds like you're doing okay.

I personally don't believe in gods but nor do I claim to have special knowledge on the subject. That's what makes me an agnostic atheist. That said, my study of history and the OT and a number of other disciplines have lead me to believe that the OT was not talking about creation, but about something else, so it was not talking about creator gods, but something else. So I am convinced the Abrahamic god does not exist. (I'm sure you could easily get a sense of what I'm talking about here through some of my starred questions if you're so inclined. It's off topic to this question so I won't talk about it here)

Do not believe people trying to tell you the positions are mutually exclusive. They are about different things:-

S: (n) agnosticism (a religious orientation of doubt; a denial of ultimate knowledge of the existence of God) "agnosticism holds that you can neither prove nor disprove God's existence"

S: (n) agnosticism, skepticism, scepticism (the disbelief in any claims of ultimate knowledge)

It is not fence sitting about your belief. Though those who answer agnostic about their belief are fence sitting, basically refusing to answer the question but still feeling the need to stick their noses in.

Been an agnostic Christian is the only sensible stance you can take. Gnostics don't believe, they know. Gnosis is actually heresy anyhows.

confident. i understand God does not exist. yet permit me be a moron and permit God fairly exist. What distinction does it make? in spite of if a God exists, God does not care if some organisms -that are %ninety 8 chimpanzee and proceed to exist a tiny around rock around a small fire in somewhat gas cloud- did no longer have faith and compliment. i do no longer think of a God would have such low shallowness and ego.

Yes, more specifically you are an agnostic theist - you cannot be sure if a god exists or not but are inclined to believe that one does.

• ?

Nope. I'm wiling to admit that I'm wrong in a debate. That doesn't make me "agnostic". My technical stance is that of a gnostic theist.

Yes, you're an agnostic.

Claire, you can't be a Christian and "accept the possibility that God may not exist." Christians follow Jesus, who is God, and live His way of life.

I used to be like that... they always told me i was influenced by the devil every time i asked a question in church -_-"

Source(s): Agnostic

well...unfortunately the christian god is admittedly a selfish unforgiving god.

However...allah is a forgiving god and even those with doubt will be saved so long as they live a good life and treat others right.