Do you think English will ever completely replace other European languages?

Today, English is the leading language for international business and communications. Do you think English will ever completely replace other European languages? Explain.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favourite answer

No, I don't think English will replace any languages. Specially in Europe where there are other languages that are spoken more than English. Try eastern and Central Europe...not everybody speaks English there, and their language is far from similar to English so no one is going to drop their mother tongue to have a Universal language.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

No... What about Spanish? Spanish is a European Language as well. I don't consider it to be possible, for example a very large part of Africa has French as their official language (many of them consider it to be the only one) and all the dialects and languages native of the region seem to be healthy and alive. It had to be imposed such as in France (where any other language is consider not proper in the region) or Russia. English might be the lingua franca but never the vernacular language.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

No i don't. Native language is a part of a countries identity, and most countries do fine having it as their first or second language. That said, everything would be a lot easier if everyone spoke the same language! How did that happen anyway? How are there so many different languages......hmmm.....

Flying Dutchman- don't Americans use the same language as us? English?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I think it will replace the other European languages sometime, but not completely. Maybe other European languages will be something like latin is now, or like everyone's second language. Like in Ireland, there are many people who still speak Irish but they also all speak English as well.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Not in a the near future but I can certainly see English as the only European language in the future as long as the tendencies of the past few years stay true for the upcoming indefinite time as well. But not anywhere in the near future.

• 9 years ago

no, I do not see English being the universal Language

English is not even the primary language in our USA.

Nor will the dollar to continue to hold as the worlds currency

• 9 years ago

It didn't happen with Latin, it didn't happen with French, and it will not happen with English. All you will see is more borrowings from English, and more English-based creole languages. Until the next "lingua franca" comes along.

• 9 years ago

No, I do not. Most people are unwilling to let go of their own culture, and that is one reason why so many other languages will persist.

• 9 years ago

English is very prevalent in our world, but still not nearly as prevalent as many Anglophones think it is.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.