Christians: What does "judge not lest ye be judged" mean to you?

Non-Christians need not apply.

Update:

@Dr. house, you actually answered my question so it's all good :)

Update 2:

@GC and Rick: That's how I always understood it, it's more of an argument against hypocrisy then saying don't judge at all.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

it's dumb. like telling someone not to be anti-drugs but condemning him when he tries it

Source(s): it's basically encouraging hypocrisy
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

It means that no one has the right to judge the heart motives of why a person does something as if we had the right to condemn them when we do worse. It does not mean that we don't have the responsibility to point out someone who calls themselves a christian and yet is living in sin. The Bible says if we do this and restore the person we have done well. But judging the heart of someone is God's job only.

• 8 years ago

Matthew 7:1 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

and

luke 6:37 “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

When as a christian i came to the point where i realized how much i had been forgiven. i knew that i had no right to sit in judgement on anyone else.

• 8 years ago

It means if you take it out on someone their weaknesses, you will be judged by yours. Only, God will do it. Like Christians telling Gays they cannot be saved, as if the Gospel was only for 'righteous clean people'. The Gospel is for sinners to be saved, after all. From what Jesus is saying, they could lose their own salvation for offending the little ones who believe in Him.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • G C
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Read the entire scripture. It also says 'but when you judge' do so as you have judged yourself. Pleas get it right. We are to judge, but first we make sure we cannot be judged the same.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Pull the beam our of your own eye before you help your brother with the mote in his. Judging sounds harsh, but if something needs to be said, examine yourself first for your own faults, you'll always find one. Judging is necessary, its not forbidden. As a Christian we need to go in love, and if someone comes to us, we need to take it in prayer, not anger.

• 8 years ago

Don't judge others unless you want to be judged yourself.

Source(s): Applying Atheist
  • 8 years ago

It means nobody is perfect including me, and it is not my place to judge others because of it.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Basically, worry about your own sins and don't judge others for theirs.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Judge not unless you want to be judged too.

Which is why I'm not homophobic.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.