When Creationists make stupid arguments against evolution like, "if we evolved from monkeys…" does it not occ…?

…occur to them that if evolution could be debunked so easily, no one would consider it fact at all? If something like the fact apes aren't evolving into humans is absolute proof evolution didn't happen/doesn't happen, don't you think that idea would occur to brilliant scientists too, not just home schooled Texans?

BQ: Does it have something to do with the stupidity of some Creationists? I mean, stupid people tend to not be aware they're stupid, so if they make a horrible argument, they're not likely going to recognize its stupidity. They'd probably just figure the reason no one else came up with it is because no one's as brilliant as they are.

@Atheism Sucks: You don't know why I'm an atheist, though. You don't know what arguments go through my head.

"Also, trying to make the argument that it's unlikely someone has not considered something their professional finding support because they are of some renown title or profession or carry a certain degree is to make what's known as " The argument from authority " Which is a huge logical fallacy."

No, it's only fallacious when the authority used isn't an expert in the field. For example, using a physicist's opinion on best computer programming language. Their field of expertise is not computer sciences, so using teas an authority would be fallacious. If you, however, used the opinion of a computer scientist, this would not be a fallacious argument.

@Jackie: Yeah, I've found many of my possibly theist friends, when asked about their beliefs, say they don't really know. I find this with political views, too.

Arguments from incredulity are terrible when you don't bother with any evidence and merely state your 'incredulity'.

BQ: Definitely.

Edit: I think you handed General MacArthur his @ss to him, was about to make the same point myself. Also, spot on remark about political views too.

I would not agree that creationists are stupid. It is just that if you want to believe in something strongly enough, the will tends to override reason.

There are more than 2 billion Christians worldwide and only a small % believe in the literal truth of Genesis.

I actually got into an discussion with a Creationist the other day. She said she didn't believe in evolution, but she did believe in dinosaurs. I stopped and asked, "Then you really believe dinosaurs and people really lived at the same time? Because if you don't believe in evolution, but do in dinosaurs, then..." She batted it around with herself for a few minutes before finally going, " I don't know, I guess I never really thought about it." Is that the way all of those who don't believe in evolution are? I like to think they have better argument than that...

• Mike

As someone who has dealt with a few scientist in his life, You'd be surprised at how ignorant and lacking in commonsense some of them are.

Also, trying to make the argument that it's unlikely someone has not considered something their professional finding support because they are of some renown title or profession or carry a certain degree is to make what's known as " The argument from authority " Which is a huge logical fallacy.

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled people make poor decisions and reach erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to recognize their mistakes.[1] The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their ability as above average, much higher than it actually is, while the highly skilled underrate their own abilities, suffering from illusory inferiority.

Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. As Kruger and Dunning conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others" (p. 1127).[2] The effect is about paradoxical defects in cognitive ability, both in oneself and as one compares oneself to others.

Source(s): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruge... See also Overconfidence effect
  • neil s

I have yet to see an argument for theism or creationism that wasn't a fallacy.

It has to do with lack of critical thought, and often scientific illiteracy.

Those fools.

I will rip through their stupidity like Crap through a goose! For I am Patton, leader of smart people.

If christians evolved from stupidity why are they still stupid?

Taking examples from stupid people and refuting them does not make you right. Get better at arguing before trying to attack something next time.

Source(s): you fail

Genesis 1:1 is all the truth I need.

God Bless