Women are innocent until proven guilty, men are guilty until proven innocent?

It occurs to me that when you see a man who is with/watching young children, the automatic response is to be suspicious of him. I remember being told when I was little that if I ever got lost, the type of person that I could trust to approach for help would be either a woman with a baby, or an elderly... show more It occurs to me that when you see a man who is with/watching young children, the automatic response is to be suspicious of him.

I remember being told when I was little that if I ever got lost, the type of person that I could trust to approach for help would be either a woman with a baby, or an elderly woman.

I understand the theory of this, and I understand the 'better safe than sorry' concept, but I can't help but feel that this teaches girls to view all men as 'bad' until proven otherwise.

I don't think it's right that men should feel guilty about being in close proximity to children, or having a job that requires him to be around kids. There's a difference between liking children and having sexual fantasies about them, which unfortunately appears to have been blurred by the surge of awareness that has recently been raised on the issue.

Similarly, most women when out alone at night will reflexively feel a hint of discomfort when they see a man walking toward them. Obviously, men are statistically more likely to commit violent crimes and sexual assault, however, women are statistically more likely than men to kill their own children, yet people are not overly suspicious of every mother because of this statistic.

Women are consistently portrayed as warmer and more loving/emotional than men, with an ingrained maternal instinct, and everything that society and the media is doing is pushing this stereotype and making it difficult for men to question the default, acceptable way for his gender to view a child, i.e. controlled emotion; indifference.

Do you believe that there is such thing as too much precaution, or does the safety of children negate the injustice of this prejudice?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100109861/family-photos-paedophile-scares-and-the-stasification-of-britain/