Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 8 years ago

Women are innocent until proven guilty, men are guilty until proven innocent?

It occurs to me that when you see a man who is with/watching young children, the automatic response is to be suspicious of him.

I remember being told when I was little that if I ever got lost, the type of person that I could trust to approach for help would be either a woman with a baby, or an elderly woman.

I understand the theory of this, and I understand the 'better safe than sorry' concept, but I can't help but feel that this teaches girls to view all men as 'bad' until proven otherwise.

I don't think it's right that men should feel guilty about being in close proximity to children, or having a job that requires him to be around kids. There's a difference between liking children and having sexual fantasies about them, which unfortunately appears to have been blurred by the surge of awareness that has recently been raised on the issue.

Similarly, most women when out alone at night will reflexively feel a hint of discomfort when they see a man walking toward them. Obviously, men are statistically more likely to commit violent crimes and sexual assault, however, women are statistically more likely than men to kill their own children, yet people are not overly suspicious of every mother because of this statistic.

Women are consistently portrayed as warmer and more loving/emotional than men, with an ingrained maternal instinct, and everything that society and the media is doing is pushing this stereotype and making it difficult for men to question the default, acceptable way for his gender to view a child, i.e. controlled emotion; indifference.

Do you believe that there is such thing as too much precaution, or does the safety of children negate the injustice of this prejudice?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/...

Favorite Answer

I think most parents--male or female--are on board with the "sorry I am biased against you but my child is more important to me than your reputation" thing.

• ?

I think you make some very valid and interesting points. It's the same as when you hear a male teacher has a relationship with his female student - that teacher is shamed by the community and locked up, no questions. A female teacher does the same thing with a male student. and he is slapped on the back for conquering this older woman, and perhaps, she might get a few months or a year of jail time, and some community service. For the other stuff, I understand it's not fair, and it doesn't make a lot of sense when written out, but I think most people take the "better safe than sorry" approach, and while the lady you encounter on a dark street at night might assault and rob you too, there is less chance with it. And people don't want to take any risk with their kids, so they end up really playing it safe there, although you are 100% correct it's not fair, since there are plenty of men who like children and want to work with them, but are nothing near to being a pedophile. At any rate, whenever you let anyone watch your children, you should know them, sit in on the first time your child is being watched by them, and make sure you run a background check. I don't care if it's a man or woman. I don't believe at all when it comes to children that there can be too much precaution.

• TS

Good question. This is really old news to the AA man. Its been this way for awhile for AA men. Now men of all races are feeling the injustice(s) of the "system".

Just look at the answers here. "I don`t care how men feel". Then wonder why men treat women the way many do. If you can`t overcome your fear(s) somehow, then get your 8ss and keep it HOME. Where you are safe. The world is dangerous, A FACT. Always has and always will be. Either toughen up or limit your exposure to the world.

Isn`t it ironic that women (as a whole) depend on these same men to make the world safe for them and children?

All part of the plan to pussify men. Started with AA men and will finish with the majority of men. Can anyone say NWO? LOL

I was walking my dog and happened to walk by an elementary school.

Lots and lots of people were suspicious of the man (me) with the dog within 100 yards of kids. A few adults furiously started poking at their cell phones and within minutes the police were blanketing the area where I was.

My old neighbor let her daughters run freely in the parking lot and street.

One day I pulled the 3ish year old girl out of the street and a woman driving by screamed "LEAVE THAT GIRL ALONE!" Should I just have let the girl get run over?

In the 1980's I could help a girl across the street and people would have been glad I helped her safely navigate the situation.

Today a man could go to prison (all it takes is a accusation to destroy someone's life) for being a good citizen.

I blame the media and the government. They continually program us to trust THEM and promise us that it's a very real possibility that your neighbor has the bodies of many photogenic children crammed under the floorboards.

Don't investigate us, they say, spy on your neighbors.

WTF happened to my country?

People are getting more and more scared of their shadows nowadays.

Now, why is that? What does the talking head on the TV have to do with it?

Edit: Sophia said "truth is that most criminals are men"

I call BS on this.

I've known far more women that should be in prison than men.

Women are FAR more likely to get away with criminal activity than men.

Fact.

Source(s): me - I've been observing the paradigm shift for a few decades now. It's alarming.
    • cathy4 years agoReport

Well, most criminals ARE men.

• ?

I agree that it is silly how society tends to view men as dangerous, strong, and emotionless while viewing women as naturally maternal, weak, harmless victims.

I think that you should tell children to trust other people with children or authority figures. If a child gets lost in the mall, they should go to a store or stand and go talk to the cashier. If they are lost otherwise, they should look for a police officer or another man or woman who has children.

Honestly, I'd probably just try to get my child a cell phone at a young age (as soon as they are responsible) so that they can always get a hold of me if there is ever an emergency or if they get lost.

I think it's because most pedophiles are men and most killers, rapists, kidnappers as well. I'm not saying every man is a criminal or every woman is innocent, but the truth is that most criminals are men.

When in doubt, I think most people go by the statistics. It may be biased, but I too feel more comfortable when I'm in a deserted area with a woman than with a man.

Yes, children should NOT be allowed around women OR men without extensive and clinical observation.

Well, that sums up society's view on men as child caregivers. They can be police officers, emts, firefighters, doctors, etc. But we can't enjoy time with our own children without some idiot thinking we're up to no good.

" type of person that I could trust to approach for help would be either a woman with a baby, or an elderly woman.

"

why not younger women ?

seriously not all men and women are molesters :(

MEN ARE EVIL RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.

No, but seriously, PEOPLE in general are evil. Just stay away from everyone.