Who was better in their prime, Paul Scholes or Steven Gerrard?

My friends from college, both Liverpool fans, reckon that Steven Gerrard was a better player than Scholes and laughed at me when I said that Gerrard was nowhere near Scholes. I am a United fan but even so I cannot understand how anyone can put Gerrard in the sane league as Scholes. Players like Xavi, Iniesta, Davids, the Brazilian Ronaldo and Zidane have all called Scholes one of the greatest midfielders of his generation, not to mention Scholes huge haul of medals compared to Gerrard. Surely any neutrals would go for Scholes?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favourite answer

Stevie G, he was top class with his freekicks and still is :)

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 years ago

I hate when people pick these midfielders but seem to miss out the great Pavel Nedved.

After Zidanes move from Juventus to Madrid if they never bought Nedved from Lazio Juventus would've been way worser off and would've had no great replacement.

I think he was better than Scholes, but between Gerrard & Scholes they are fairly equal.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Though I'm no United fan, Scholes is better than Gerrard (Giggs is better than Scholes ). I still remember the days when there are Giggs on left, Scholes and Keane in central, and Beckham on right.

• 9 years ago

Paul Scholes.

I'm probably biased though. But seriously, Scholes in his prime was better than Gerrard in his prime.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Without a double Paul Scholes...and I wasn't even around to see his prime I don't believe or at least I was too young.

Footage of what I have seen have been amazing though.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Paul Scholes. He was honored by many - including Pepe Guardiola- as being THE BEST midfielder in his generation to play the game (I personally think this is wrong; Giggs is better). Had it not been for the yellow card/red card/overall temper issue, he would of been one of the best midfielders ever to play the game. If you look at how he both anticipates and pinpoints passes, he is simply amazing

• 9 years ago

Sol Campbell.

• MELONS
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

scholes would of been a better play what let him down was his indiscipline, should of had more england caps!

• 9 years ago

Paul Scholes.

He influences games more when he was in his prime

• 9 years ago

I could never choose a ginger first

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Rivaldo

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.