Who was better in their prime, Paul Scholes or Steven Gerrard?

My friends from college, both Liverpool fans, reckon that Steven Gerrard was a better player than Scholes and laughed at me when I said that Gerrard was nowhere near Scholes. I am a United fan but even so I cannot understand how anyone can put Gerrard in the sane league as Scholes. Players like Xavi, Iniesta,... show more My friends from college, both Liverpool fans, reckon that Steven Gerrard was a better player than Scholes and laughed at me when I said that Gerrard was nowhere near Scholes. I am a United fan but even so I cannot understand how anyone can put Gerrard in the sane league as Scholes. Players like Xavi, Iniesta, Davids, the Brazilian Ronaldo and Zidane have all called Scholes one of the greatest midfielders of his generation, not to mention Scholes huge haul of medals compared to Gerrard. Surely any neutrals would go for Scholes?