HMFan
HMFan asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 years ago

Biscuit pre-prep for crowd?

I'm making a 3x to 4x batch of biscuits for a large crowd. Is it OK to cut in the butter/shortening into the dry flour mixture and then store it in the fridge (for no more than 6 hours) before adding the wet ingredients and baking it? My biscuits always seem to come out more like brickbats rather than light, flaky pastries. I know keeping the fat cold until baking is a key goal but I'm wondering if the extended contact between the fat and flour in the fridge will cause some kind of undesired outcome.

• botygy

I dunno the science of it, but I think the most pre-prep I'd do is maybe cut the butter into pats to make it easier to cut into the flour, etc. If your biscuits are not light and flaky, you have two possible issues--either your baking powder is old (and yes, I add some baking powder even to self-rising flour) and/or you're handling the dough too much, making it tough--you just want it to come together, then turn it out and roll gently. A proper biscuit cutter is a must as well--not a glass.

• Beth

For years I have been the one in charge of making biscuits for our reunion breakfast and this is the recipe I have used and it makes wonderful biscuits and you do not need to refrigerate the mix.

BISCUIT MIX

Mix 8 cups flour, 1/3 cup baking powder, 1 tablespoon salt, and 3 tablespoons sugar. Cut in 1 cup shortening. (I use butter flavored Crisco)

To make biscuits mix 1/3 cup milk to each cup mix.

I mix 2 cups mix to 2/3 cup milk for each batch. The thing with making them is not to mix too much. The more you handle the dough the tougher it gets. Just mix together until it holds together and turn out on floured board and knead only about 5 or 6 times. Roll and cut.