Can old-fashioned and overprotective parents answer me these questions?

For 40 years during the cold war, there was a huge chance that Russia, Cuba or China would launch nuclear missiles to destroy major American cities. Why do you say "The world is more dangerous for our children now than it's ever been"?

Up until 80 years ago it was common practice for a 14 year old to get married and have kids. Why do you say "14 year olds shouldn't be exposed to sex"?

Until the ways of raising children changed in the 90's the number of women beaten by their husbands was significantly higher than today. Why do you say "spanking doesn't teach violence"?

During the Vietnam war, young men were drafted (and many were killed). Why do you say "today's young people are wasting their lives"?

Before vaccines, preventable diseases were the #1 killer of people. Why do you say, "I'm not going to vaccinate my child because a parenting magazine says that it might give them autism"?

In Saudi Arabia children aren't exposed to sex and their society is completely "clean". Do you think that's how you want the free world to be?

My list of examples goes on and on, but I'll just sum it up. Why do you think that your children need to be raised like it's the 50's?

Thanks for the answers!

Not to mention drive-by shootings were easier to pull off back then.

During the cold war it was always a mutual annihilation threat, it was scary and being a child that grew up during that time myself certainly caused nightmares. However, when there were fights in my high school we threw punches. Kids getting shot on a school campus was virtually unheard of.

If you have a problem with the age of consensual sex write your congressperson. Meanwhile I think sex education and access to condoms is a good thing.

I don't spank, but I don't have an anti-spanking agenda either.

During the vietnam war men were sent across the globe, yes. They still are though more voluntarily. Meanwhile shots are fired nearly everyday in Oakland and other big cities. The war came home. This has nothing to do with kids wasting their lives. They're separate issues.

Most people who are anti/partial vax do so because of contaminants not the debunked autism study.

Saudi Arabia isn't the moral paradise you might imply.

I realize it's the 21st century. But then I don't consider myself an old fashioned parent but thought I might respond anyhoo ..

- Hello, the CHANCE of something isn't the same as it actually happening. I was born in 94 have lived through the Oklahoma City bombings (I don't remember the bombing but I do remember part of the trial), Columbine, 9/11, the Madrid bombings, the looting and riots after hurricane Katrina, the London bombings on 7/7, the whole situation in Egypt, the summer 11 riots in London, and literally dozens more shootings, bombings, and massive violence. 40 years ago when something happened in London somebody in Chicago didn't immediately find out about it and see it on their computer. The psychology of society is totally different today.

- Yeah well 80 years ago the lifespan was shorter and the career options for women were totally different. Most 14 year old girls then weren't planning on going to college or even having a career of their own and being independent. They tended to work in the home. A 14 year old then would go ahead and start a family. She could work then, too. A 14 year old today has very limited options for supporting herself.

- Dude. The 90s? Things had changed before then I believe. I'm not gonna bother with the rest of this one since it's a tired subject here.

Because some young people ARE wasting their lives. It's tragic young men were killed in Vietnam, and but they were actually doing something. Even if they didn't agree with the war at all and shouldn't have been there, they showed up when drafted, they went through boot camp and they went out there as men. Their lives were taken from them, but they didn't waste their lives like someone the same age today who sits at home all day playing video games and doesn't have a job, doesn't go to school, and doesn't have a direction for his life.

K, you do know that on the flip side there are more immune based diseases now because the immune system is too coddled, right? A parent needs to do research on each vaccination and consider whether it's worthwhile. I never had any and in perfect health!

How were drive-by shootings easier to pull off before? That type of weapon hasn't been around that long.

What was your point in asking this anyway? Who thinks we should live like it's the 1950s?

LOL at Ethel's answer.

edit

LOL, did you just have a pout fest and thumb down everybody for not agreeing with your looong question?

During the cold war, the danger was from the outside, not inside. There were no metal detectors in schools.

School was an extremely safe place, and there was no violence other than an occasional fistfight. Teachers were authorities who were treated with respect, and who took their responsibilities for the children's safety seriously. Violence against a teacher was unheard of.

If there were drive-by shootings back then, I never heard about them, and my mother grew up in an extremely poor part of town.

Today's society is MUCH more violent than society in the 1950s.

Why would Saudi Arabia be your model? People managed to be less sexually active for millenia, without being physically beaten by the morality police for showing too much leg.

When people got married at 14, they also died at 40. My grandmother, who was married in the 1920s, was in her 20s. If you actually take the time to look at geneaologies through the centuries, that was quite common.

14 was considered extremely young for marriage (unless you were in a polygamous cult) 60 years ago. My mother was 17 when she got married, and she was considered young.

The majority of people back then managed to keep their pants on until they got married, and did not have multiple partners, which meant that many of the STDs that are so common today did not exist.

I want to see your data on women being beaten. I don't believe that. I never met any women who were beaten by their husbands during the era when all children were spanked.

Don't bash the 50s when you have never been there.

1. People do drugs and stab...

2. Then 14 was considered more of a adult age. But now, in modern times, they are considered children and a teenage girl would hate to get pregnant/be a single mother

3. I don't spank, it may do, it may not, but I try not to get to involved in that topic

4. May I say that I live in England. I live in a place where there were little riots, they were pretty big & terrifying. So I'd hate to live in London and of got the FULL THING. I credit the young, brave soldiers and honor what they do, but you can't make a Stereo type out of young people. Some are brave and do that sort of thing, some do drugs and kill. That's the way the world has always been.

5. Actually, parenting mag's encourage for us to vaccinate.

6. You can't go from one extreme to the other. End of story

7. In the 50's children were given way more freedom than today. Why? Because it wasn't as dangerours as today.

I actually let my kids go out when they want, but not really past dark (depending on the age, if my 13 year old is out past dark I have to know where he is, then I'needeed to pick him up after. But if its winter and dark at 6;30 I usually maexceptionsons), unless they're at a sleepover ;) I let my kids go out when they want. And don't need to know where they are, they don't rome the streets because all the time they go out to town they come back with a game/top. They're responsible. I give thfree domeome proving I'm not ofashionedned. But know there ARE risks/dangers out there!

I

• ?

I am not very old fashion and im not overprotective at all, but you still have huge flaws in all of these arguments.

1) Actually, there wasnt a "huge chance", the chance was never really hugh at all, just a lot of paranoia, and that was something far away that may or may not happen, it wasnt drugs and violence and kidnappings right in their schools and neighborhoods. I dont believe the world is any more dangerous then it was 50 years ago, but thats a really bad argument.

2) Yeah, and the majority of those girls died in childbirth because their bodies werent ready and they were forced into unhappy marriages. They also rarely received an education and having a job was practically illegal. 14 year olds should not be having sex, they are children themselves.

3) That is because beating your wife was more accepted at the time, it was actually legal to beat your wife as long as you used a rod no thicker then your thumb (where the saying "rule of thumb" came from) and the women had no way out of the marriage, not because the husband received a swat on the butt when he 3 for touching the stove. Now more attention is being given to spousal abuse, so the rates have decreased, not because people have stopped disciplining their kids.

4) Todays young lives are wasted when they all die from drug overdoses and car accidents caused by drinking, not by serving their country, and those who make it out spend their time staring at video games. They take for granted what those boys died from, the ability to control their lives, and many waste that gift.

5) Thats not being an overprotective parent, thats being an ignorant parent, considering that whole autism vaccine thing was disproved a long time ago.

6) Just because they have a lot of flawed politics doesnt mean that they cant do anything right. Children should be allowed to live in innocence. Not be exposed to sex and other adult things.

Did I say that to you? I don't remember! It is more dangerous in an overall sense because there is so much hate out there in the world, lack of respect, out of control people because their parents are completely univolved and lax, because young people are exposed to so much hate, violence, drugs and so on.

I don't recall mentioning that to you either. I didn't say this. Fourteen yr olds should not be EXPOSED TO SEX... they are not being raised the same these days. They have not been taught responsability, given responsability, in short they are way too immature and self absorbed. They are not ready for sex at 14 like they may have been 80 yrs ago. This is a different time!

I do say this...spanking does NOT teach violence. Parents teach violence, society teaches violence, abuse teaches violence! Discipline, authority, teaching respect, does not teach violence.

Again...I didn't say this, but infact...many are wasting their lives. Being drafted and getting killed in war wasn't a young person wasting their life away! Use your brain.

My kids are vaccinated. Being a self proclaimed old fashioned disciplinarian parent does not mean you don't use common sense.

What they need from the 50's is the good old fashioned teaching of respect, responsability, hard work, listening to authority, caring about others, doing their best, not being raised with a huge level of expectation that everyone on earth was put there solely to serve them. This is what is missing in our society today! What is NOT being taught by most parents.

• ~qx~

That is NOT my experience.

Much of what you say depends on your family and your community.

There have been laws for over a century forbidding 14 year olds to get married; it was not common. The child labor amendment was introduced in 1924 to keep young people out of the main workforce; high school became common in the 1920s to keep children out of the work force. The child labor amendment is still circulating among the states but it is moot. Up to the 1920s most people who finished 8 yrs of school had an excellent education, equivalent to most community colleges today. People who could not take the pace, dropped out and went to work.

My grandmother, born in 1905 had a career. She married late at age 25 and had just 2 children. That was typical for her community. She lived to be 80 and so did her husband. My other grandparents lived into their 90s after being born in the 1870s. The life span has not lengthened. Only the "average" life span has grown. There is a difference.

I do remember neighborhoods with no fences where everyone could play in the backyard and see bbqs and parties up and down the block.

I remember homes without security systems, without surveillance cameras, and without locks on the front doors.

I remember going to the library without going through a theft detector. I remember schools without walls and fences. I remember working in daycare because people knew me and loved me as a babysitter without getting fingerprinted and having a DOJ inquiry run on me for crimes and paedophila and twelve units of child development. Spanking in the schools ended in the late 1960s, district by district.

I remember watching television and the content was not so adult. There is plenty of sex in Saudi Arabia, but the culture does not allow for openness, so if no one talks about it, it does not happen? As for the draft, it ended just as I turned 18; as wrong as I think military conscription is, at least men who wanted to avoid it had a plan for turning 18 - today, young men are lost with no direction.

A person could walk onto a plane and wave good bye to his family. Today, you are electronically strip searched, humiliated and threatened with being put on a no-fly list if you complain.

As for vaccines, I am old enough to have contemporaries suffer with polio, but I also had contemporaries who had rheumatic fever and scarlet fever. Where are those vaccines? Infectious disease has declined because of better nutrition, the weekly trash collection and plumbers, not because of doctors. Give credit where it is due.

NO, the 1950s were not perfect, but communities had standards and respected them.

Some parents can't handle the fact that their kid takes even the slightest risk.

That's just the way it is.

Where that line is depends from parent to parent.

My sister(16) for example can go out in Gent(one of the major student hot spots) with some friends but the moment she's walking there alone I jump in my car for her and go pick her up.

Both are risky to a certain extent. At which point a parent sais "enough" is totally depending on him.

I do agree some are just stupid though.

Wow. Ignorance is rife.

Violent crime is at the lowest levels its been in decades. You are safer now than you were in the 70's.

We're safer and healthier than virtually any point in human history. We're also far more paranoid.

I thought choosing not to vaccinate was modern, not old-fashioned? Your logic cuntfuses me.