How to make hard boiled eggs?

When making good hard boiled eggs, can I just bring the water to boil and turn off the heat. After that, place a number of eggs in the already boiled water and cover with a lid for 15mins. Will they come out well? Or is it better to continue the boiling process even after adding the eggs, which I tried and made them crack.

If you put the eggs into cold water and then bring it to the boil, that will stop them cracking. Once the water's boiling, turn it down to a low simmer for about 5-10 minutes, depending how big the eggs are. As soon as they're done, put them straight into a bowl of very cold water to prevent the outer edge of the yolk turning grey.

EDIT: Making a hole in the egg will help stop it cracking, but you have to put it in the blunt end where the air sac is to stop the egg leaking out. This is quite awkward to do without either breaking the egg or stabbing yourself unless you have a specially-designed gizmo like my old Mum used to have!

Source(s): Been boiling eggs for over 40 years!

I usually do 8-10 minutes. I could upload you may choose to place the eggs interior the water and then carry it to a boil. this might appear as if easy experience yet i understand people who've dropped eggs into boiling water and puzzled why their eggs have been exploding. So. Yeah.

Just place enough hot water to cover the eggs and start boiling them for about 20 minutes, you will get hard boiled eggs(:

You put however many eggs you like into a pot of cold salted water, bring it to the boil then allow them to simmer for about six minutes then empty the water out and dump the eggs into a bowl of cold water. Allow them to cool if you have time before shelling them. *This way, without any extended boiling times you don't get that black ring round the yolk.

This silly bloody yahoo rubbish has just given me the silly message "Hmm looks like you've used a lot of punctuation". WHERE FOR CHRIST'S SAKE ? ? ? ? ?

my trick is to put an egg in boiling water for 1 minute then turn off burner until cool

• U should put the eggs in before you boil then That how i alway do it, then put the lid on.

To prevent them from cracking, you could make a little hole in the bottom or top of the egg :)

Something NOT to do, don't listen to Stella Something. The egg would leak out of the hole, and then you have something along the lines of egg drop soup.

Source(s): A long, smelly afternoon.