Multiverse theory??????????????????????????????

I was watching a show and a lady, can't remember he name, was calculating the probabilities of a Big Bang theory, and said that alot more universes were needed for there to be a chance of a big bang in our universe. She also said that string theory must exist. Can someone shed some light on this and explain why string theory is needed?

Update:

Well i am sorry for calling it a theory, however, my question was not what a thoery was. Which seems to be the only answers i got.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favourite answer

String theory is needed because ordinary particles do not settle the discrepancy between the quantum mechanical frenzy and the general relativistic "smoothness"! In order to merge all of the forces of nature i.e. EM, Strong, Weak, and Gravity, you need particle-like entities stretched out so to speak i.e. a string. That's why strings are needed! However before 1995 there were originally five different string theories which were called Type I, Type IIA, Type IIB, heterotic SO(32), and heterotic E8XE8. Ed Witten during a conference in 1995 presented his elegant unification of all five string theories i.e. M-theory! Witten showed that the five string theories are actually part of a larger framework. So a string is a one-brane. A two-brane is a sheet. A three-brane is a three dimensional sheet which you cannot visualize. And according to theoretical physicists, our universe is a three-brane because of the three dimensional space we inhabit. The highest dimensional brane in the M-theory multiverse is a 10-brane. The 11th dimension is time. Time can be followed through the other side of our universe's singularity!

Even though there's no evidence for M-theory, I have a braggadocious attitude that the Multi-verse is real because it would explain our universe's complexity and "perfect" cosmological expansion rate without the need for a "god". In the same way the Earth is "fine-tuned" within our solar system.

Source(s): Fascination with M-theory!
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • takacs
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

yet they are falsifiable. after all, those conjectures arise only from arithmetic. And, we are able to probably try for it interior the massive Hadron Collider: if some mass/capacity isn't accounted for, then we've some experimental information that this innovations has been "pushed out" of our universe. If this would not take place as quickly as we predict of it would, then we are able to diminish value various the assumption and circulate returned to the calculus-strewn drafting board. i do no longer think of any astrophysicist would say that the multiverse hypothesis extremely explains the creation of the universe, as that only implies an infinite regression of the question "nicely, what created the multiverse?"

• 9 years ago

This is not a theory. There is no experimental evidence to suggest that there are strings or another universe. If the basic premise of an idea cannot be demonstrated, it is not a scientific theory.

• 9 years ago

It isn't a theory. It's barely a hypothesis. Actually more like a pipedream.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Wikipedia it. It's extraordinarily complicated.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.