GunnyCee asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

Is Athens Georgia a liberal or conservative city?

I'm retired and thinking of moving there because of the great educational opportunities. However, I don't want to put up with liberal policies. I'm already putting up with that where I live now.

The town is full of transient college students so there is definitely a strong presence of idealistic kids living off mom and dad's money (a.k.a.Liberals), but the surrounding area is full of people with actual 'jobs' and 'responsibilities' so they help keep a balance. It's not crazy like California or anything.

Source(s): Live outside Atlanta, used to visit Athens for shows and recording.

Don't forget that Athens GA is in the heart of the Southern Bible Belt. Although it is seen as liberal and bohemian to most residents (it is after all a small college town) it is nothing like what you'll find in the east, northwest or in California. Tolerant, open minded and progressive are words seldom used to describe any southern town.

I graduated from U.GA. and it is a conservative town. After all, it's in the middle of Georgia. You have a lot of students that will make it somewhat liberal, but they are not really residents. The town is beautiful and easy going. If you're a Republican it would be a nice place to live.

SORRY, Dark Ager.There are many Liberals in authentic college towns . Try that town where Bob Jones University is in South Carolina.Definitely you are BJU material. Georgia has an all white county, Forsythe.you would like that too, of course.

i'm looking to move down south from liberal Chicago.

so

if I move and you move

that would make 2 more conservatives, lol♥

• L.T.M.

It's very laid back. Mostly conservative and you can buy a house there for half what it cost in 2006.

We, liberals, are everywhere. Liberalism is the only correct way. I suggest you make amends now.

smoke weed

dunno, but Georgia is a fairly conservative State, outside Atlanta

Dunno, but R.E.M is from Athens :)