What do you think of a couple who gets engaged after 5 years of dating?

I've been with my boyfriend for almost 5 years, lived together for 3 years and we have a 3-year-old son together. We would've gotten married sooner but we're only 22 so we are still pretty young (been together since we were 17.) we just wanted to wait until we were able to afford a nice wedding. We went... show more I've been with my boyfriend for almost 5 years, lived together for 3 years and we have a 3-year-old son together. We would've gotten married sooner but we're only 22 so we are still pretty young (been together since we were 17.) we just wanted to wait until we were able to afford a nice wedding. We went shopping for my ring but my boyfriend wants to have an official proposal with our family there..I think he's doing it on our 5 year anniversary which is next month. I was all excited talking about what people might think..but my boyfriend said that people most likely won't be that excited for us since we're already living together, have a kid and been together for so long. He said that people already view us as being married, some even assume we are married..so they're not going to think anything of our engagement because we're old news. He thinks our CLOSE family will be the only ones excited for us. What do you think? Would you care at all if this was the situation of someone you knew? Now, I KNOW it doesn't matter at all what anyone else thinks...nothing will change our happines and love for each other! I'm just a little curious:)