Why do people from other countries and people ten years younger then me tell me I'm wrong about US History?

Does anyone else get this? Do you have like 18-19 year olds and foreigners telling you the civil was fought exclusively over slavery? Is it any surprise they are as misinformed as they are full of themselves? Why do they conveniently select to forget this? The American Civil War (1861–1865), also less commonly... show more Does anyone else get this? Do you have like 18-19 year olds and foreigners telling you the civil was fought exclusively over slavery? Is it any surprise they are as misinformed as they are full of themselves? Why do they conveniently select to forget this?

The American Civil War (1861–1865), also less commonly known as the War Between the States (among other names), was a civil war in the United States of America. Eleven Southern slave states declared their secession from the United States and formed the Confederate States of America, also known as "the Confederacy". Led by Jefferson Davis, the Confederacy fought for its independence from the United States. The U.S. federal government was supported by twenty mostly-Northern free states in which slavery already had been abolished, and by five slave states that became known as the border states. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War

In the presidential election of 1860, the Republican Party, led by Abraham Lincoln, had campaigned against the expansion of slavery beyond the states in which it already existed. The Republicans were strong advocates of nationalism and in their 1860 platform explicitly denounced threats of disunion as avowals of treason. After a Republican victory, but before the new administration took office on March 4, 1861, seven cotton states declared their secession and joined together to form the Confederate States of America. Both the outgoing administration of President James Buchanan and the incoming administration rejected the legality of secession, considering it rebellion. The other eight slave states rejected calls for secession at this point. No country in the world recognized the Confederacy."

Quite clearly the civil war had nothing to do with slavery. Some states wanted to leave the union, they happened to be slave states. Other slave states did not join them, and some slave states joined the Union side(north) so how was it about slavery when Lincoln was prepared to leave slavery as it stood?

"Hostilities began on April 12, 1861, when Confederate forces attacked a U.S. military installation at Fort Sumter in South Carolina. Lincoln responded by calling for a volunteer army from each state to recapture federal property. This led to declarations of secession by four more slave states. Both sides raised armies as the Union seized control of the border states early in the war and established a naval blockade that virtually ended cotton sales on which the South depended for its wealth, and blocked most imports."

It is quite clear the war began because Confederate forces attacked Fort Sumpter, not because people wanted freedom. So why do people 10 years younger than me and foreigners keep telling me I'm wrong about US history and that the Civil War was fought over slavery?
Update: Scooter I think the threats to blockade ports and trade of cotton prompted the south to worry about their future economy a little more. Especially since they could have had slaves do other tasks, but it was the sale of cotton that mattered.
14 answers 14