We have some major electrical problems in a house we are renting. The landlord absolutely refused to fix any?

of them so we withheld this months rent telling him we would pay it when the issues are fixed. We have the rent just don't want to pay it till he fixes them. Now he is saying if we just move out that he will give us our deposit back. I found out why he is offering this. Last month he put the house for sale, he... show more of them so we withheld this months rent telling him we would pay it when the issues are fixed. We have the rent just don't want to pay it till he fixes them. Now he is saying if we just move out that he will give us our deposit back. I found out why he is offering this. Last month he put the house for sale, he told me the lady he brought over was from a property management company but she wasn't. She was obviously a realtor. The problems with the house is that none of the electrical outlets in my boys rooms work and neither do the ceiling lights (yes we have changed the light bulbs), none of the outlets throughout the house on the top outlet work. The kitchen outlets spark whenever you pull a plug out. The dryer smells like fire everytime its used and he was told, he checked it out when he came with the "property manager" realtor and just ignored the problem. Do I have any legal action here? If I move out I want more than my deposit back. I've made many improvements to his house when I moved in because he left it for us to move in, in a nasty filthy mess. Please let me know what my options are. Thanks.
Update: I don't know why most (not all) are being so rude. Guess what rude ones??? He is giving us all the rent back except this month and the deposit!! Why is he doing this you might ask? Because he was breaking the law and rental requirements in our state. We have only lived here 4 months and have fixed all of the... show more I don't know why most (not all) are being so rude. Guess what rude ones??? He is giving us all the rent back except this month and the deposit!! Why is he doing this you might ask? Because he was breaking the law and rental requirements in our state. We have only lived here 4 months and have fixed all of the repairs we knew how but a major electrical repair was more than we could handle. My husband had his client (a lawyer) write up a letter stating all our state laws and the landlord agreed! I should've known better than to ask on yahoo answers where people are rude and hardly anyone knows what they are talking about.... however, thank you very much to the people who did help and give advice. I appreciate it!
Update 2: Oh and to the a$$ who said I moved into the filthy house, indeed I did BUT we signed the lease before it was ready. He assured us he was hiring a professional cleaning company and then did it himself-horribly. Just so you know!
Update 3: Dear Property Manager, You apparently are not knowledgable on anything as far as state to state laws go. "It is ILLEGAL to withhold rent over repair issues without a court order in most states" In our state it is NOT "ILLEGAL" to withhold rent" as long as you have proof that you have made requests for such repairs... show more Dear Property Manager,
You apparently are not knowledgable on anything as far as state to state laws go. "It is ILLEGAL to withhold rent over repair issues without a court order in most states" In our state it is NOT "ILLEGAL" to withhold rent" as long as you have proof that you have made requests for such repairs and sent it by certified mail in writing to your landlord in which we did. We gave him 15 days to fix it which he did not do. In our state you are allowed LEGALLY to withhold rent until it is paid or save that rent to pay for the repairs yourself as the tenant. I did get written permission from him to do the repairs because I was furious at the conditions of the house after he had made verbal promises to have it all done a month prior when we signed the lease! Everything I did was legal and I have proof from a lawyer. As I said previously a letter was drawn and we are now getting every cent paid back! I hope none of you ever get screwed over by a slumlord. Although I'm sure