Writers: By asking questions here, does that mean you don't have enough confidence in your writing?

I don't mean this in a completely negative light.

If you think about it, by coming here, you are really admitting that your storyline, your writing, or whatever it is you normally ask questions about, is not good enough by your own standards.

Please be honest when I ask this next question, no one will think lesser of you or whatever if you do:

Are you coming here because you are generally curious to see what others think about your writing, plot, etc..., or is it really because you don't have enough confidence in your writing and want reassurance?

I'll be completely honest in saying that I come here because I don't have enough confidence in anything that I do, including writing. I think that this is the reason that most writers get upset over mindless comments that bash their writing. It's because they honestly don't have enough confidence in their own. I know that completely describes me, but then again, the statement is coming from me, so it's hard to say.

Opinions?

Thanks! :)

@bookbuyer: But why would you feel the need to improve unless you were completely confident in your writing? ^-^

I know, I know, it's probably a stupid question with an answer that you know and will answer easily, but I just thought I'd ask it anyway.

Sorry, the question was supposed to say:

"But why would you feel the need to improve if you were completely confident in your writing?"

Favorite Answer

Not at all.

Because I don't ask for critique here, I've only asked for opinions on titles once, and don't usually critique other people's work, I talk about my writing in an objective way. I come here to discuss books and consider aspects of being a reader and writer I had never considered before.

Of course we all have doubts about our work but I prefer to get advice from my close friends who act as editors and readers in the real world. There is always room to improve one's writing; it doesn't necessarily mean you aren't confident in it. To me, it's wrong to be completely satisfied with a piece of work because nothing is ever perfect. You can be satisfied it's the best you can get it, but it's always more productive to be open to constructive criticism.

On here I get the variety of questions and opinions which is great. I feel like it's one massive English class, but then again it's much more relaxed because it's people talking about books in their own time and not necessarily using academic language.

:')

No, it doesn't. No writer is perfect. Yes, there are brilliant writers on here. However, they're not perfect. Even the smallest mistakes can make a huge difference. By asking questions about your story on here, you're willing to become a better writer. You're willing to improve and work hard. The more you practice, the better. Every writer has at least one thing to improve on. Writing is a difficult and laborious process. It takes time to perfect your writing. Perhaps perfection doesn't even exist in writing. Sometimes, in the end, it's still not perfect. You think you have it all perfect, but you don't. That's alright though. It's all part of being a writer.

I never post my writing on here. However, if I did, I would post it not because I care about what people think of it. I would post it because I want to know how I can improve. Grammar, spelling, imagery, word choices, etc... I'm not confident regarding my writing. I don't think I ever will be unless I put hard work into it and practice, practice, and practice. I must be patient. I'm a beginner. I ask questions on here so other people can learn from other answers and apply that to their writing. I ask questions on here so I can learn and make my writing more amplified, brilliant, and thorough.

This doesn't apply to me since I typically ask pseudo-philosophical questions or time wasting questions out of pure interest. But those that do ask questions on here are looking for advice from others. The regulars on YA do for each other what members of a writing group would do. What do you think? That you should submit your manuscript to an agent or editor without having another writer READ it first? If you do that then you are severely undermining your chances of getting published.

I don't think it has anything to do with confidence and more to do with learning and critiquing. You need critiques even if you know you wrote something decently. All professional writers get critiqued before being published. That's what editors do for journalists and novelists alike. And having confidence in your writing has nothing to do with learning new tricks or gaining advice on how other writers would do something. Gaining other people's perspectives opens up more possibilities for you as a writer..gives you more options..more insight. Anyway, no..I don't agree.

I don't think it has to do with a lack of confidence at all. I think some do genuinely want honest feedback and critique so they can learn and improve. Others are looking for validation but not necessarily confidence. It is evident with a lot of teenagers that many think they are the shizznit and no one can tell them otherwise.

I don't post my work here for review for 3 reasons:

1. I write two blogs, not fiction.

2. My blogs can easily be found by clicking on my profile.

3. I don't give a flying rat's a** what people think. If they hate my work, so be it. If they like it, great. I write because I enjoy it, not to get reviews or smoke blown up my butt with potentially undeserved praise.

EDIT:

No matter how confident one is with their writing every writer has something to improve with their work. I do. So does everyone else. Confidence or lack thereof does not mean a writer does or doesn't need to improve their work at any given time.

As it happens, I haven't posted any writing here for critiques. But I've certainly sought feedback on my writing. Writers should.

What's a bit peculiar here is the concern that people don't feel completely confident in their writing. Writing is always a two-part equation: what you think you're saying and what other people are hearing. You can do some writing that makes you feel very good from a craft point of view but which goes right by most readers; conversely you can write something very simply with no great thought and discover that it touches people far more than you thought.

So it's always a dialogue. Yes, a writer should develop their own ear and their own sense of when something is working and when it isn't. But most writers don't just do that all on their own. They do it precisely by getting feedback from others and learning to internalize some of the best critiques (Stephen King not only got rejected numerous times before developing a style that sold, he THREW OUT the first draft of "Carrie"; it was his wife who fished it out of the trash and helped him rework it.)

Brett Tonaille

"Putting It In in Paris: An Erotic Novel of the Eighties"

I do come here and ask questions sometimes because I lack confidence in my writing, but that doesn't mean I'm looking for reassurance or validation. I honestly value and want constructive criticism and critique, even if its harsh, because that's how I improve. I do love compliments though (as long as they are sincere and valid) but that's not what I'm looking for to boost my confidence. The only thing that's going to really help is improving my writing so that I can take more pride in it. Part of that means receiving and applying constructive criticism to my work, and that's mainly what I'm looking for when I post my writing on here.

No of course not. I do come and ask questions about my story just bits and pieces. I do it because I need opinions not a confidence booster. However when I ask questions about the characters, plots of the other readers to tell about theirs I sort of get a little uneasy about my story sometimes just because I look how they plan it out. I am confident in my writing when I know I can do it... When I plan my stories I do sometimes lose confidence in myself for the planning.

I get what your saying through, I guess if I were to come on here purely for tips and if my stories good like some users do. But maybe if I came on here to improve that's not confidence that's just help right?

;) Good question

Source(s): ♥Sterling Knight
  • It's not that we're not confident, we're just curious if the books we are planning are things that we should read, and we are always asking for public feedback on what is good, and what needs changing. We are not completely confident, nor should we be. One of the best pieces of advice is to build up a network of people who will give you honest, solid criticism without being too blunt.

Again, it is never a good idea to be completely confident in your writing. You may get rejection after rejection, especially if you send it to publisher which your novel doesn't fit, or you don't follow the guidelines completely. A publisher will tell you that s/he has seen books which they loved, but they felt they had no room for that book on their market, and that's why it got rejected.

WhatI know you're just genuinely curious. I get ya :)

But no, I don't come here for the confidence thing or the what others think about my polt thing. I never post my stuff and I don't wish to at this time or place. I come here because I like to see what others like myself write about, and I want to help others and answer interesting questions. These days I only ask questions (about my stories) that I need a factual answer for, like "Would the government all a person to do?"

I have the confidence in my writing to write, I just need the motivation to keep writing, because my energy doesn't stay in one place for long. Seeing everyone on here helps me kick my own butt and stop procrastinating.

I originally came here because I wasn't very confident in my writing; but now I come here because I honestly want to know what people think. I grew confidence, and well, curiosity has me wondering what people think of what I'm currently working on.

EDIT:

I once asked a question about something I'm working on just so I'd feel the need to keep going. Like I was running out of ideas, so I asked a question, and got all that feedback and managed to finish writing it. :)