Haara asked in PetsCats · 9 years ago

My cat wont stop misbehaving?

My cat name is Tiger he almost a year (he will be a year on May.18). He a Maine Coon and he will not stop destroying my stuff and knocking stuff off my tables, Ive Tried spanking him, yelling, saying no, spraying him with water. No matter what I try he will not stop. Any idea i love him and would hate to have to give my cat but he driving me crazy ive almost started to cry sometimes. I dont know if this will help but ive had him scene he was 5 weeks somebody drop him off on my street, and he is fixed. Please help me.

Favorite Answer

You're SPANKING this cat? You should NEVER strike a cat. They don't understand why you're abusing them and it's only going to make things worse. Cut the clutter and he won't have things to knock over. But I think the best thing would be for you to try to find him another home. The fact you're abusing him is horrible and you sound like you have some other emotional issues that have NOTHING to do with this cat. Get hit cat away from you before you end up killing it.

And FYI - Maine Coon kittens aren't dropped off on the streets at five weeks old. They only come from the mating of pedigreed Maine Coon to pedigreed Maine Coon and are sold by breeders starting at $600.00. Your cat is simply a "domestic" - a cat of no particular breed just like over 97% of the cats on this entire planet.

• saleh

Misbehaving Cats

You have to understand that your cat is still well over a year-old; still a baby. Running around and playing with things around them are just what kittens and other young animals do. You have to be a bit more patient with him, and using physical force as a form of discipline on him is a big no-no. It will never solve anything and it will just make him mad and mean as time goes on.

Try to pick up things around your environment a little bit so it would make it harder for the cat to get into. Every time he misbehaves, give him a little bit of "time-out" in a small room (bathroom, bedroom, etc) for about twenty minutes or so. Animals aren't as dumb as humans think they are, so he'll probably get the point sooner or later. Give him treats and affection once in awhile when he is behaving better. People and so-called "feline" experts will say that the best solution to solving your cat's attitude is to use the water spray bottle, but here in your case, it doesn't work.

I suggest trying anything of the above, and most of all, REMEMBER: you have a kitten, and all kittens act a little wild before a year-old. It's not forever; just for a little while. Again, be a little patient and cut your kitty some slack. If you feel as if as though you can't handle it any longer, I suggest in giving up the cat to some other owner that could. I know that's the option that you're most trying to avoid, but sometimes the right thing to do isn't the easiest.

I've had many cats in my life, and all of my cats have been like that for the first year or two. He's kind of still a kitten so he's still really mischievous. The best thing you can do is try to take down all the stuff that he knocks over, and organize your house so he can't ruin stuff as much. When he does bother you, put him in a separate room for a time out. Definitely keep giving him the firm NO and letting him know you are upset. Cats are animals, so they can already sense your tone/mood/energy. That's the reason why spanking and water are just kind of unnecessary because the cat pretty much already knows you're pissed. Removing him from the area where he caused problems will let him know WHY you're pissed. Oh, and Maine Coons are soooo freaking cute, lol. Just let him grow up, he will grow out of it. Don't give him up. Nothing is worse than giving up a cat because of how he behaves. I hate to be the nagging one but you signed up for a cat, so this is part of it. It isn't fair to him to have to go somewhere because you don't know what to do. Find out what to do! This cat is depending on you. He is your pal, don't be mean to him, he doesn't know any better. Just be patient with him!

ha ha that sounds cute :) my cat is even worse, she always somehow ends up in the kitchen cabinets, or eating some bread that is on top of the fridge, and she knocks things of tables too, but shes 10 -_____- .don't spank him, spray him with water, or yell. I've tried all of these things too, and none of them even work. The best thing to do is to calmly, yet firmly say no and shake your finger, or point at him, as if you were talking to a little kid. It may sound stupid, but it usually works, my cat usually looks embarrased after I do that lmao its adorable :) But, there could be other behavioral problems , or health issues too though, so be sure to see the vet is this behavior persists. (My cat had a thyroid problem, which is why she is always misbehaving, and looking for more food.)

Source(s): my cat has been acting like that since I was 8 :)
  • Chanel

That is what young animals do as he is still a kitten.

You don't spank an animal as it will make them hand shy and fear you.

He needs stimulation so buy cat toys and play with him if he can't go out the door to explore.

I did the firm "NO" and separation into the bathroom when my kitty was going through that. It takes repetition and can get noisy when they are in solitary confinement but they catch on. I just made sure there was plenty of food, water and litter box for my cat or matters could get worse from there.

The cat can't stop behave that is the time study their natural behavior will pussy and brat but isn't wild bore wild but if you hug make it calm> the cat is happy because his master is come.

Source(s): Just like in natural person should be happy when our lover is come.

Dump him somewhere.

give him a toy to play it so he will busy and have an attention of that toy.