My computer may have a virus?

I was surfing the web today when I clicked on a website that opened up a new tab and displayed some message about winning something. I immediately X-ed out of the message window, the tab that was opened by the website, and the tab of the website. It didn't say anything was installing, but being the paranoid... show more I was surfing the web today when I clicked on a website that opened up a new tab and displayed some message about winning something. I immediately X-ed out of the message window, the tab that was opened by the website, and the tab of the website. It didn't say anything was installing, but being the paranoid person that I am, I immediately tried to run a system restore in case I just picked up the virus. It didn't work. After a few times, I went into safe mode and ran System Restore, and it completed successfully, but I only restored it to February 23, 5 days ago. If I had a virus, would restoring my computer to a date that recent get rid of the virus? I know some viruses are sophisticated and can infect other restore points, but I haven't had any virus symptoms yet (yes, I know some viruses won't show symptoms). I never burned my operating system CDs because my computer always gave me problems, but now I'm worried I haven't gotten rid of the problem and nothing is backed up. I don't have an antivirus scanner; it expired months ago. If anyone has any advice on what I should do in case I have a virus (or if you think I have a virus at all), PLEASE, help me. I'm running on Windows 7, by the way. If I left out any information you may need to know to help me, please ask me and come back to check if I've added the info! Thanks!
7 answers 7